:icon_neutral:
hey fellow computer people....i have the redirecting virus and also have Avast. Can I delete a file that is infected without harming my computer? Does Avast have to be set to emergency to show the redirecting virus is in my computer?....i just did a scan with setting on debug and it showed no viruses...:S
thanks for help:)

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

HOW do you KNOW you have a virus on the computer if your anti-virus doesn't show anything?

Can I delete a file that is infected without harming my computer?

No. You absolutely have to know exactly what you are doing to remove it AND you have to be absolutely positive that it IS an infection. Also some infections are made up of MANY files, not just one. Deleting just one file of a multi file infection may make it virtually impossible to remove the entire infection. Plus generally you just don't Delete.
Many files have the same names...some are infection and some are not. One key item is WHERE is the file located, Exact full location. The good files will be located in one place, the bad often times in another. But you need to run other scans besides your anti-virus program to be absolutely certain you have infection.

Does Avast have to be set to emergency to show the redirecting virus is in my computer?

No, Avast should find a VIRUS with a normal scan. It won't however always show trojans, hijackers and the like. It is not built to do so. That is why OTHER scans should be run.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBA-M) to your Desktop.

* DoubleClick mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install MBA-M.
* Be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When MBA-M finishes, Notepad will open with the log. Please save it where you can find it easily. The log can also be opened by going to Start > All Programs > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware > Logs > log-date.txt.
REBOOT the computer

Please Run the ESET Online Scanner and attach the ScanLog with your post for assistance.

* You will need to use Internet Explorer to to complete this scan.
* You will need to temporarily Disable your current Anti-virus program.

* Be sure the option to Remove found threats is checked and the option to Scan unwanted applications is Checked.
* When you have completed that scan, a scanlog ought to have been created and located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt. Please post that log for us as directed below.

REBOOT the computer

Download and run a Full Scan with HiJackThis. Save the log.
Post back here and copy/paste the MBA-M log, the ESET log and the HiJackThis log.

Hi jholland 1964,

Thankyou for all your information. I am busy with other work but will definitely follow instructions asap!
I realize I did not state clearly what I meant when I said "delete a file". I just started using the Avast program and was thinking it would clean the file by deleting the virus, but obviously delete means delete.
I did want to question the manner in which you responded. Are red capital letters necessary? When I first read the email, I thought perhaps I should leave the sight, that it was too advanced for me but I would like to learn. I have other areas of expertise. Actually I am a teacher and would never communicate that way to someone who made a mistake or did not have the same level of knowledge that I had. I hope you understand that I am just giving you honest feedback because you will be continuing to teach others...thanks again, i'm happy

When Avast, or any reliable anti-virus program finds a virus it removes the infection by placing it in Quarantine. Meaning it is LOCKED up it cannot hurt anything. It is then up to the user of the program to delete that file from Quarantine. This is a precaution built in by all anti-virus programs. The reason for this is that no program is 100% fool proof, occasionally mistakes are made and a perfectly legitimate file is thought to be infection. The file is placed in Quarantine, it cannot hurt anything from Quarantine. If within a day or two it is found that the Quarantined file is NOT an infection then the user can restore the file from Quarantine back onto the computer if one chooses.
You should always wait a day or so before either deleting the Quarantined file just to be certain a mistake was not made.

Hi jholland1964....thankyou for info.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.