I am running Widows XP with a Logitech wireless mouse. I have deleted and reinstalled my mouse driver that windows chose, installed logitech driver, ran Norton Antivirus and other spyware & malware programs and nothing has solved my problem. When I boot windows, I am unable to click on the desktop icon of my choice, only the first icon is highlighted no matter what icon I click on. When I click on my start menu, only the top icon will highlight. I can start the 2nd, 3rd and so forth by right clicking to lauch that program. I can make the problem stop by doing a search in google (my default home page) and then I can select any icon on my desktop or start menu icons. I can also add that if I go directly to a web site without searching, my mouse can not scroll using the scroll wheel. Also if I open up advanced search in Google, the text box displays all my previous searches since I last cleaned up my internet files and displays all the searchs at once and highlights the top and bottom search alternating back and forth. Any suggestions welcome.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Have you tried uninstalling the mouse from the device manager?

you will have to use the keyboard to refresh the pnp hardware (and reinstall your mouse). after the uninstall completes, press Alt, then A, then A to rescan.

Good Luck

Post back here if that does not fix the problem.

Have you tried uninstalling the mouse from the device manager?

you will have to use the keyboard to refresh the pnp hardware (and reinstall your mouse). after the uninstall completes, press Alt, then A, then A to rescan.

Good Luck

Post back here if that does not fix the problem.

I did that but rather than reinstall after dropping my mouse in device manager, I just restarted my computer using the keyboard. This did not change anything.

It sounds like you know your way around your computer. I have seen new video drivers cause this type of problem, and as your suggest, a virus, but usually the mouse will not move at all, or will jitter.

Have you tried another mouse?

Have you tried Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware ?

If your antivirus offers a boot-time scan, you should try that. As you may know, files in use may be blocked from being modified. If your AV will not scan at boot time, try Avast! Home Edition. No need to register if you will only use it once.

It sounds like you know your way around your computer. I have seen new video drivers cause this type of problem, and as your suggest, a virus, but usually the mouse will not move at all, or will jitter.

Have you tried another mouse?

Have you tried Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware ?

If your antivirus offers a boot-time scan, you should try that. As you may know, files in use may be blocked from being modified. If your AV will not scan at boot time, try Avast! Home Edition. No need to register if you will only use it once.

I did try another mouse, same problem. I used Malwarebytes prior to posting this which did not fix the problem.

But the problem is now fixed and I don't understand why. I booted windows in safe mode, problem still there. So I rebooted back in normal mode and PROBLEM IS GONE! Don't understand how that fixed it. Thanks for the help.

Great! This is an unusual issue, so if you ever get an idea of what the problem may have been, post it here for our benefit.

Great! This is an unusual issue, so if you ever get an idea of what the problem may have been, post it here for our benefit.

The problem has returned. Booted up the computer last night, same problem. I knew it was too easy for the problem to go away by booting in safe mode.

so back to any suggestions?

I would download and install the newest drivers for your video card and mouse. If that does not help, go to:

http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/windowsxp/mousekeys.aspx

After turning on mouse keys, shut down your pc, remove the mouse, and boot. Do mousekeys work, or do you have the same problem?

I had already installed the latest mouse driver, updated my video driver yesterday. No change. Used mouse keys - I can pick any item on the Start menu without the flicker. Now what? I have since discovered that if I launch any program, the flicker is gone - I just don't have to do a search on the internet.

Any more suggestions?

I had already installed the latest mouse driver, updated my video driver yesterday. No change. Used mouse keys - I can pick any item on the Start menu without the flicker. Now what? I have since discovered that if I launch any program, the flicker is gone - I just don't have to do a search on the internet.

Any more suggestions?

My PC is also infected with this problem?

help :(

Would you post a hijackthis log?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/hijackthis.php
Get the .exe file, run the program following th prompts, post the log.

Here is my hijack log

Go to the device manager and select Show Hidden Devices from the View menu. Any conflicting or unknown devices?

How much RAM is in your machine?

Rather than waiting for you response, I thought I would just "throw some things out there" since we have been working on this issue for some time.

Since mousekeys works OK, I assume that you have enough RAM and that Stay-Resident Programs are not overwhelming your system.

Most wireless mice turn themselves off to save batteries. There would be a lag while it reconnects. Power management can turn off devices too. You may want to disable power management for your mouse driver (uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and check "Allow this device to wake the computer").

For me, here are some of the things that freeze after a while.

Cannot click on vista start, nothing happens.

open windows will freeze.

all internet browsers will freeze (fox, ie and chrome)

however if you hover over desttop icons they will go blue?

onle control alt delete, task manager can close progs. and windows.

?

virus check, spyware, defrag, different mouse, system file checker run
all these tried.

Regards.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.