my flashdrive indicates that there are files and folders in it but i am not able to access them because they are hidden. i tried gettin into the folders via the address box but i still cant change the properties because the hidden checkbox is dimmed... what has caused this and how can i solve this problem? Many thanX.....

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

1 - Open a Windows Explorer... You can do so by opening "My Computer"
2- in the menu bar at the top of the windows explorer you will find a "Tools" option.
3- In the tools option click "Folder Options"
4- click on the second tab "View"
5- Select the choice "Show hidden files and folders"
6- Click "Apply", then "Ok"

1 - Open a Windows Explorer... You can do so by opening "My Computer"
2- in the menu bar at the top of the windows explorer you will find a "Tools" option.
3- In the tools option click "Folder Options"
4- click on the second tab "View"
5- Select the choice "Show hidden files and folders"
6- Click "Apply", then "Ok"

Ive already that. what i mean is that my files seam to be permanantly hidden. is there any way i can change the hidden property of a file or folder by using the registry editor?

Those were the only instructions I found. What are these files actually, do you know?

You possibly have some sort of proprietary file system software in there, or something like U3 which permits you to run special sware from your thumbdrive. The U3 host files, for example, are hidden, but can be removed if not wanted, freeeing up the space they take. You should find the correct tool to do this at the website of the sware installed.
And again, it might just be the file system software without which your thumbdrive becomes a nice addition to your rubbish bin.
But maybe I am way off-beam with all this.

Open CMD (Start/Run/Cmd)
Type in :
1) X: (where X is the drive letter of the drive)
2) dir /ah (it'll give you the list of all hidden folders/files)
3) If you find 'Autorun.inf' then type in 'del autorun.* /f /s /q /a'
4)Now to unhide a specific file named 'XYZ' typ in 'attrib XYZ.xyz -r -h' (-r is to remove the read only attribute while -h is to remove the hidden attribute')

Open CMD (Start/Run/Cmd)
Type in :
1) X: (where X is the drive letter of the drive)
2) dir /ah (it'll give you the list of all hidden folders/files)
3) If you find 'Autorun.inf' then type in 'del autorun.* /f /s /q /a'
4)Now to unhide a specific file named 'XYZ' typ in 'attrib XYZ.xyz -r -h' (-r is to remove the read only attribute while -h is to remove the hidden attribute')

sorry...

i vd try it.but unsuccusful.

the error message is "not resetting system folders"

can't unhide or remove read only attrib.

i also try from flash drive(and hard drive).

are there any suggetions please....

use:

attrib "filename" -r -h -s

i have the same problem, theres 60gigs of jpgs and vids and folders, all hidden and all have the radio unhide tab not selectable.
is there a way to batch rename these back? using the atrib method would take me 100 years. the virus did it in 15 seconds.

If this is XP go to Tools, Folder Options and then click the View tab. At the bottom of the list is an option called "Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended)" Uncheck this and you will get a new tab at the top called "Security" where you can take control of any file and change it's attributes as an administrator.

This thread is over one year old. Orginal poster never returned.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.