Hello, I need anyone's help. I have been having my computer to freeze up on me during McAfee virus scan lately. I tried to uninstall and re-install it and it still freezes at same location:

C:\drivers\audio\R186858\stacgui.cpl.

When it freezes I have to do a hard shut down, and when it tries to boot back up it does a Chkdisk on my C:\ it said it is checking for consistency.

I have already done a diagnostic scan on hard drive and memory and no fails seem to comes back.

I used Eset to scan and it freezes at: C:\drivers\audio\R186858\st645866.dll

I used Avast scan and it freezes at: C:\drivers\audio\R186858\ctppld.dll

And when I tried to do the Malware scan it freezes at: C:\drivers\audio\R186858\ctapo64.dll

I already tried to do ATF-Cleaner and it cleaned up some stuff for me, but still no luck.

I'm not for sure what else to do. This all started out when I watched a free movie on-line and a lot of pop-ups started to come up, and they said something about C:\fake location as well. I was able to communicate with Dell tech person and he fixed it because I was able to scan, but now it's kind of back to it's old thing. And sometimes it freezes up online.

I don't know what to do please help?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hi there Beauty,
It appears that the "C:\drivers\audio\R186858" directory is corrupted. It could be that the entire directory is filled with Malware.
Can you delete the directory itself?
Even if it's a driver for your audio you can always re-install it later.
Try deleting that directory completely and see if you can run the scan then. Make sure you don't send it to recycle bin, but delete it completely from the computer.

Let us know if this helps.

IKE

Okay I was able to run the Malware software in safe mood before I uninstalled the "C:\drivers\audio\R186858 and the only thing that came back was some "HiJackThis" file so I deleted it, but I know that had nothing to do with it.

I have uninstalled "C:\drivers\audio\R186858" and I was able to run my virus scan. Nothing came back though. I do know that my laptop froze up at the end, but I did it again it worked fine. I have not reinstalled it yet, but while I do that. Do you know why, when I restart my computer or shut down my computer the proper way, Iam still getting the "check disk" scan? It's like on a black screen with white words and it says it's running a scan for consistency.

Thanks for your help

Have you let it Run and complete?
If you don't it will keep trying to run until you do.

Also if for some reason it is set to run when the computer is shut down or just restarted it will run everytime you do this.

If memory serves me right I think its a setting under msconfig some where.
IKE

Try manually running CHKDSK with the /f and /r flags and let it complete? The instance of chkdsk that is running when you boot might not be a complete scan/fix run of the check or it might not be finishing.

Is it shutting down properly every time you turn it off?

Yes I have let it run and complete many many of times. Well I just noticed today that when I did my other virus scan with Avast on 1/26/10 the logs said: "Error: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable (1392)" and it had a lot of files. Well yesterday when I started my computer up the check disk scan didn't run so normally. It started streaming alot of stuff like: "Delete corrupt attribute, Deleting index entry, Corrupt error in index, Recovering oprhan file, Inserting an index entry with ID, Repairing the security file record segment, and Inserting data attribute into file" It was going pretty fast so I couldn't get the file types. So I was thinking that maybe it was deleting the file and directory that was corrupted and unreadable that the Avast virus scan picked up on 1/26/10. What you think?

But the thing about it is that it never use to do the check disk scan so I don't know why it started and i did not set it up that way.

I looked into the "msconfig" and I'm not for sure what it would be called but i don't see anything in there that would relate to Check disk and it being automatically starting up. I am using Windows Vista.

Have you let it Run and complete?
If you don't it will keep trying to run until you do.

Also if for some reason it is set to run when the computer is shut down or just restarted it will run everytime you do this.

If memory serves me right I think its a setting under msconfig some where.
IKE

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.