I am working on a dell dimension desktop with XP SP3 on it.
It seems to be infected with the "Fake" Antivirus 2010 trojan.
I have tried to boot into Safe mode to attempt to remove the files
and every time I attempt to go into Safe mode the system just reboots after scrolling through the file info.
It will boot into Regular Windows without incident, but it keeps rebooting when trying to go into Safe mode.
Has anybody else encountered this? If what did you do to resolve it, short of a complete format and re-install.

Thanks in advance.

Ike

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html) to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure to checkmark the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Download the update from here if you have problems.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
* Post the log back here.

The log can also be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

Make sure that you restart the computer.

===================

Download HijackThis Executable from here. Save it to your desktop.
Start HJT & press the "Do a system scan and save a log file" button. When the scan is finished a window will pop up giving you the option of where to save it. Save it to desktop where it is easy to access. Open the log file and then go to the format Tab and make sure that wordwrap is unchecked. Copy the entire contents of the file & paste it into the body of your post. DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET. Most of what is there is necessary for the running of your system.

OK I'll let U know how that all goes.
OH BTW, I know how to run MBAM and HJTm but thanks for the info and directions.

But getting back to my original Question, have you ever seen malware do this?

Normally it will mess up Normal Windows, but I have never seen it mess up going into Safe mode, unless Normal mode is messed up too.

IKE

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.