I've managed to pick up an email virus that is sending out emails under my name. They contain this link http://www.obt3.xmedx.com. I had downloaded a program whose site and program were approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor. After discovering the problem I went in and uninstalled the program but it's still sending the bogus emails. I ran SpyDoctor, Malwarebytes, and McAfee but am still receiving these emails. I just bought a new desktop with Windows7 so I'm still not familiar with everything. I went into 'internet options' to put this address on the block list but didn't find the 'block' dialog box and didn't take the time to mess with it since my time is limited in the evening. I haven't tried 'system restore' yet. I don't know what else to do because I'm not really certain where this came from.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Hi welcome to daniweb.
First of all DON'T use system restore under any circumstances. It WON'T remove an infection. System Restore actually operates only on a very few system files and settings. System Restore backs up your registry. System Restore does not backup your data. If you delete or damage a file, System Restore will not recover it. System Restore will NOT uninstall a program. In fact if you have installed a program and find you don't want it if you use System Restore it may leave you with much of the program but it just won't be listed in Add/Remove, making it much harder to uninstall. System Restore does not keep old copies of your files or settings. If you're looking for an "old version" of a file or program that you used to have on your machine, System Restore isn't going to have it. System Restore does not fix your system. So if your computer crashes and needs to be repaired System Restore will not repair it.
I had downloaded a program whose site and program were approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor.
Please give me the name of the program AND the site where you got it.

Now I need to see the log from Malwarebytes'. Please post that here. Were any items found using any of the tools that you used? If so did you tell the tool to remove or quarantine whatever was found?
Post that log here for me and then we can decide where to go next.
Judy

You did not answer his question ..... I am getting emails with a link xxxxxxx.... i do i get whoever this is TO STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

commented: You are not the original poster. -2

How do i get them to stop it i meant to say?????????????????

How do you get them to stop? By posting the requested logs. We can't help until we see something more than "How do i get them to stop it i meant to say?????????????????"
If you are not willing to follow our requested steps then we cannot offer help. We have no idea what infection you have until we see the logs. Plus we have no idea what tools you have used and if those tools were the correct tools and up to date.

Hi welcome to daniweb.
First of all DON'T use system restore under any circumstances. It WON'T remove an infection. System Restore actually operates only on a very few system files and settings. System Restore backs up your registry. System Restore does not backup your data. If you delete or damage a file, System Restore will not recover it. System Restore will NOT uninstall a program. In fact if you have installed a program and find you don't want it if you use System Restore it may leave you with much of the program but it just won't be listed in Add/Remove, making it much harder to uninstall. System Restore does not keep old copies of your files or settings. If you're looking for an "old version" of a file or program that you used to have on your machine, System Restore isn't going to have it. System Restore does not fix your system. So if your computer crashes and needs to be repaired System Restore will not repair it.
I had downloaded a program whose site and program were approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor.
Please give me the name of the program AND the site where you got it.

Now I need to see the log from Malwarebytes'. Please post that here. Were any items found using any of the tools that you used? If so did you tell the tool to remove or quarantine whatever was found?
Post that log here for me and then we can decide where to go next.
Judy

First of all I am not a computer novice. I had intended to do a factory retore but I was able to resolve the problem without having to take such drastic measures. I rarely use SR but I have had to do a total factory restore on a machine that was having so many issues that nothing else was working. It worked fine once I did a total restore. With a Masters in technology I'm usually able to resolve all problems. I guess I was getting frustrated and was looking for an easy out.

How do you get them to stop? By posting the requested logs. We can't help until we see something more than "How do i get them to stop it i meant to say?????????????????"
If you are not willing to follow our requested steps then we cannot offer help. We have no idea what infection you have until we see the logs. Plus we have no idea what tools you have used and if those tools were the correct tools and up to date.

I've already solved the problem!

How do i get them to stop it i meant to say?????????????????

Try changing your password on your email account and make it a more secure password by using numbers and acceptable symbols that are on your number keys, something you'll remember but that's too hard for others to figure out. I always make a note of my password and then store it in a zipped file that has been secured or locked. If you don't want to store it on your computer, keep a log where you can write it down. If someone has been able to obtain your password they can use your account to send out bogus emails making it look like they came from you.

jbteach

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.