I read that Norton antivirus+ other things was better than McAfee that costs more. After I do a Norton initial scan with quick or complete scan, I always get 4 threats detected and 4 resolved. I can never get 0 threats detected. Is this normal or what is wrong?

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

My computer is less that a year old and is Windows 7 with 64 bit. Also my question was if this means that my computer is infected or not. It is a general question. Is there something wrong if on the last step with the last file it comes up with 4 infected and 4 removed, even if I do it 3 times in a row? I guess I can try the suggestions on that link even if I do not know if my new computer is infected.

I read that Norton antivirus+ other things was better than McAfee that costs more. After I do a Norton initial scan with quick or complete scan, I always get 4 threats detected and 4 resolved. I can never get 0 threats detected. Is this normal or what is wrong?

Like Judy said, that's not enough info to go on.
If you could what those 4 items are or post the log, that'd be best.

Could well be a heuristic detection or an FP of legit software. Running the tools in the linky Judy posted is a good idea - Just to be on the safe side.

-- RE: Norton vs. McAfee..... I'd choose neither. If you are going to pay for AV, I recommend the Kaspersky Internet Security suite. Most bang for the buck!

Heck, there are free options I prefer to Norton / McAfee.

Happy Christmas :)
PP

We need to know EXACTLY what the FULL NAMES of these items constantly being found AND their exact FULL locations. We can't say if they are true infections or not without knowing exactly this information. These could be false positives OR signs of a rootkit since they keep coming back. We just can't give you any more information or make any other recommendations because you have given us no information except to say that Norton keeps finding four files, removes them and they come back. I, like PP, would choose neither Norton nor McAfee. I use a free av and have for several years. It ranks quite highly in all tests. There are several excellent free anti virus programs that always score higher than either Norton or McAfee on testing.

Just goes to show how rubbish Norton is!! I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy!

Just goes to show how rubbish Norton is!! I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy!

for what its worth ,me neithor, and i to use a free one,but if you do need to buy one just to feel safer ,i also reccomend kasperspy

I absloutely hate Norton. I know it's the worst protective program out there. I have dealt with hundereds of PC's and all the ones that had Norton on it, Norton was the problem. It's rubbish, absolute trash. I'd use the kind of words I usually use to describe it but I think a lot of people would have a problem with the language!

Funny, I've used Norton for quite a few years and have never had a problem with it (see below for an exception). Of course I don't visit sites or download files that may be infected with viruses. Even now I am running Norton 360 which includes antivirus, firewall, backup, disk optimizer and other utilities.

The only problem I have had with Norton Antivirus is when I was using VC++ 6.0 a few years ago -- Norton would sometimes not allow me to save source files, so I had to turn it off when programming.

Funny, I've used Norton for quite a few years and have never had a problem with it....

Like you say, you practice Safe Computing - That is a huge factor in keeping malware-free.

I am not rabidly anti-Norton. We've all got opinions and this is mine:

While the protection Norton offers is fairly solid, I do feel it is a bit bloated and a bit of a resource hog. It has been that way for as long as I remember.
And, I do not think it stacks up to the Kaspersky Suite - that is the cream of the crop IMO. Even the free Comodo suite matches up well.

'Course everybody is going to have their own experience and opinion. In the interest of full disclosure, I dumped Kaspersky a few years ago and went with the free Avira. I'm poor and malware doesn't scare me ;)

PP

I too have used Avira FREE for at least two years, maybe longer. I feel I have great protection. It consistently ranks higher on most comparisons than either Norton or McAfee, has for a long time.

Since Norton keeps finding these "whatevers" I would strongly suggest do additional scanning with Malwarebytes'Anti-Malware.
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBA-M) to your Desktop.

* DoubleClick mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install MBA-M.
* Be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When MBA-M finishes, Notepad will open with the log. Please save it where you can find it easily. The log can also be opened by going to Start > All Programs > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware > Logs > log-date.txt.Post back here with that log.

You asked if this was "normal" for this to happen, no it isn't.

I agree, running MBAM is a great idea! I will however add one thing. If it downloads a newer version and installs it, run the update once more just to make sure it is also up to date databasewise as sometimes, when updating to a newer version, the latest database isn't always included!

Absolutely right Rik!

Here are the 4 things that always come up even if I run the Norton scan 3 times in a row. This always happens on the very last file that it scans. It says that these have been detected and removed even though 3 of them say notdetected:

Tracking cookie: Cookie:chuck@ad.yield manager.com Not detected

Tracking cookie: Cookie:chuck@content.yield manager.com Not detected

Tracking cookie: Cookie:chuck@atdmt.yield manager.com Not detected

Tracking cookie: Orphan cleanup
Removed

Thanks for all of the advice. Note that I have Widnows 7 with 64 bit. It sounds like the best paid one to get is Kaspersky. What is the best free one to get? Could you give me links to both of them so I do not go to a fake anti-spyware site that tries to infect my computer. Is the free one good enough that I do not need Kaspersky.

Also I read that Windows 7 has Defender but I guess that is turned off when you put on something like Norton.

These items are not infections they are tracking cookies though they certainly can lead to infections, meaning that your browsers are not set up correctly.
Open the browser and pull down on the Tools option to open the Internet Settings and click on the General tab
Click on the Settings button under Temporary Internet Files and select Every visit to the page and also reduce disk space used for temp files to less than 50 mb.
click OK
Click on the Privacy tab and click on the Advanced button.
Check the Override automatic cookie handling and select Accept for the First party Cookies option and Block 3rd Party cookies and a check mark in Allow Sessions cookies.
click Ok

I would also advise that you download, install, update and then enable all protection with SpywareBlaster. A FREE must have program from javacool.
"SpywareBlaster prevents the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, dialers, browser hijackers, and other potentially unwanted programs. It can also block spyware/tracking cookies in IE, Mozilla Firefox, Netscape, and many other browsers, and restrict the actions of spyware/ad/tracking sites"
http://download.cnet.com/SpywareBlaster/3000-8022_4-10196637.html

You have to update this program manually. It doesn't update often but check every couple weeks. If there is an update available then download, install, enable all protection and close the program.

Another KEY thing to always do is empty all temp files BEFORE doing any scans. This saves the scanner the time needed for going through all these temp files.

I use Avira Free, have for well over two years and am extremely pleased with it. Works perfectly fine with Windows 7 64bit, as does SpywareBlaster.

Leave Windows Defender turned off. It can be used for scanning if needed but doesn't need to run all the time in the background.

Cookies are benign; on their own they can do nothing, they record a few details only for the site mentioned in their name to shortcut procedures, direct preferences. It disappoints me that an AV scan even bothers to mention them. But, as Judy suggested, modify your browser settings to accept cookies only from the page visited. That way you won't get cookies from advertisements on the page unless you visit their sites.
A great and free cleaner is CCleaner.

commented: good advice +35

Hi, I have installed norton antivirus 2011 and now i can't use facebook, hotmail or youtube and other sites dont load properly if at all, i uninstalled norton as this seemed to be the problem but still nothing has changed in regards to the sites mentioned. Can anyone help? thanks

Yeah, get rid of Norton, it's absolute crap.

hi RIK were you talking to me?
if yes, i have already uninstalled norton but it seems to have made no difference, any other suggestions?

Hi, I have installed norton antivirus 2011 and now i can't use facebook, hotmail or youtube and other sites dont load properly if at all, i uninstalled norton as this seemed to be the problem but still nothing has changed in regards to the sites mentioned. Can anyone help? thanks

This thread is 8 months old and belongs to another. You need to begin your own thread stating all of your problems.Telling us HOW you uninstalled Norton also. It is likely settings were changed with the install and must be restored to their original settings.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.