I got two message. One in the DOS box that said "The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value".

The other box that opened contained this:.....

Great! - That's what we were looking for.

-- Some of the keys were indeed missing as noted in the OTL log - error message you just got confirms that. I'll put together a fix to reinstate them. Though, I am not sure that will fix the problem at hand.....

I have to head out for a bit - will post back late tonight or tomorrow evening.

Cheers :)
PP

OK - Let's add the missing keys to the registry and see what shakes out:

Open a command prompt and then Copy&Paste each command in Red into the box one at a time and hit Enter for each:

REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\folder\shell\open\command" /VE /T "REG_EXPAND_SZ" /D "%%SystemRoot%%\Explorer.exe /idlist,%%I,%%L" /F

REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\folder\shell\explore\command" /VE /T "REG_EXPAND_SZ" /D "%%SystemRoot%%\Explorer.exe /e,/idlist,%%I,%%L" /F

REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\drive\shell\find\command" /VE /T "REG_EXPAND_SZ" /D "%%SystemRoot%%\Explorer.exe" /F

Let me know if you get any error messages.
Then, Reboot and run PEEK.bat again for me to verify the new Registry entries. Please post that log and let me know if that helps at all.

Cheers :)
PP

All three "completed successfully". Rebooted. Ran peek.bat

@ECHO OFF....

All three "completed successfully". Rebooted. Ran peek.bat

@ECHO OFF....

You posted the contents of the batch file again :)

No worries - if all completed ok..... Are things working better or are we in the same same boat?

I suspect the problem is still there.
-- When did you first notice it?

Back Thursday evening EST.

PP:)

Believe it or not, all of the Windows Based Services -- My Documents, My Pictures, Control Panel, Etc., now open exactly the way they're supposed to! I did a quick check around and didn't find anything that produced the original error message. You done good, my friend!

Believe it or not, all of the Windows Based Services -- My Documents, My Pictures, Control Panel, Etc., now open exactly the way they're supposed to! I did a quick check around and didn't find anything that produced the original error message. You done good, my friend!

Hey - that's good to hear! I was starting to wonder what we were missing.

Well, that was relatively painless, wasn't it?

-- Feel free to delete any of the items I had you download.

-- Also, probably a good idea to run another backup of the registry with Erunt now that the keys have been fixed.... Just in the event you run into this problem again.

I'm still curious as to the cause - did you investigate for malware?
I didn't see anything that jumped out at me from the OTL Log - a few minor things we could clean up, if you so desired.

I'm going to bed - will check back Thursday.

PP:)

For the sake of others in this same boat...and I know there are many...I have NO clue as to the cause. I ran every virus scan I could get my hands on, ran Spybot Search and Destroy, and then ran TrojanRemover (from Nigel Thomas); a program I've used for several years. That picked up a couple of nasties and deleted them. Sorry, I didn't write down their identity. I'll run ERUNT again and keep my fingers crossed. Thank you kindly for your patience with the elderly guy. :)

Trojan Remover.... Now there's a blast from the past - didn't know that was still around!

Yeah - a lot of times malware will re-arrange the registry. Sometimes it will rewrite keys. Other times it will create new keys or delete existing ones.
The trouble is, most of our removal programs often do not deal with this sort of "collateral damage" and users are left to figure that out on their own....

Thank you kindly for your patience with the elderly guy. :)

You're welcome - it was my pleasure. :)

PP

"Trojan Remover.... Now there's a blast from the past - didn't know that was still around!"

I've been with Nigel since TR was in beta...it finds "stuff" that others don't, so I stay with it.

PS: I'll be making a nice donation to the cause, in thanks to you for your outstanding bedside manner dealing with a crusty old man who's trying to keep up.

PS: I'll be making a nice donation to the cause, in thanks to you for your outstanding bedside manner dealing with a crusty old man who's trying to keep up.

Hey, thanks :)
I'm certain it'll be much appreciated!

One of my credos is that life is too short to spend a moment of it cranky.

Cheers,
PP

hey mister goldeneagle4444... im a 20 yr old, n i too had a hard 30 mins keeping with this thread..
but it was worthwhile.. gr8 job philliephan, i would like to think that i gained some knowledge from this thread... :) hope to someday solve problems like this on my own, n be of help as well... :)
thanks for posting ur problm here goldeneagle4444, n once again.. gr8 job philliephan!!
cheers :)
somjit{}

hey mister goldeneagle4444... im a 20 yr old, n i too had a hard 30 mins keeping with this thread..
but it was worthwhile.. gr8 job philliephan, i would like to think that i gained some knowledge from this thread... :) hope to someday solve problems like this on my own, n be of help as well... :)
thanks for posting ur problm here goldeneagle4444, n once again.. gr8 job philliephan!!
cheers :)
somjit{}

Thanks for the good words :)

Hello. I am having the exact same problem. I had a virus and then I got rid of it but now I get that same message everytime I try to run somthing. I have tryed everything in this topic but nothing helped. Please help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.