This is bugging the crap out of me, i really need some help. im pretty certain its a virus or some sort of malware, but im not that great with computers so im having some trouble. I have run Anti-malwarebytes bunches of times, and itll come up with infected files occasionally that ill remove, but it still doesnt change whats happening. i Also have run spybot search and destroy, removing the infected files that show up. I have run Ccleaner as well and fixed any registry problems to come up, but still no change in my problem. So what happens exactly, is when i startup my computer normally,it runs a bit slow but not to terribly out of normal, what happens is about 3 to 5 minutes into startup, the programs wont respond, i cant even shut down, task manager wont even start up. the mouse will move around and start menu will open up but thats it, nothing else will respond. Safe mode, and safe mode with networking work fine. my windows security will pop with wether or not i will allow spyware cease 2011 to open and i always will click no, and itll still make my computer not respond after awhile, if i click yes, my computer usually will not respond alot quicker.I dont know if thats related to my problem since no one else has these symptoms with spyware cease. But spyware cease will not pop up in my antimalware bytes even though its updated. Please help, this is driving me crazy its so frustating. Im running on windows 7

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Unless you are committed to Windows and having viruses interfere with your computing life, then wipe the system and install Linux instead... There is a learning curve, but most get past it pretty quickly. There are open source replacements for most Windows software, and there is Wine which will allow you to run many Windows programs natively in Linux. Additionally, there are free virtual machine managers, such as VirtualBox, which allow you to run Windows natively in a virtual machine for those programs that won't run in Wine. You can take snapshots of the VM periodically, so if you get a virus in the Windows VM, you can simply revert to the last snapshot, automatically removing the virus and all its side-effects. That's what I do. I have one or two Windows programs that I have to run in Windows, so I use a VM on my Linux system. It gets infected occasionally, so when it does, I just revert to the last snapshot, and voila! No more tears!

I'm having the same issue as the OP... almost. I'm running Win 7, 64 bit, on a Dell laptop. Using Avast antivirus, and never go to questionable sites (that's what the iPad is for). Factory specs, and it has run fine for a little over a year now. 2 days ago, started getting instance where the mouse & keyboard would become unresponsive, CTRL +ALT+DEL doesn't do anything, and I end up doing the power button shutdown. Instances started off rare, but are now within a few minutes after startup.
I've ran Malwarebytes (both quick & full scans), Avast scan, and nCleaner (registry cleaner). Nothing has worked so far. Tried creating back-up discs (yes, I know I should've done this a long time ago), but it locks up just as it's about to finalize the second of two discs at 98%.

And there is always the possibility that both of you have hardware problems...

In the midst of following the directions on the link Zero left. Guess I got ahead of myself & posted before reading the "read me".

I'd hope it's not hardware; I've only had the laptop since August 2010.

Tried creating back-up discs (yes, I know I should've done this a long time ago), but it locks up just as it's about to finalize the second of two discs at 98%.

were you going to burn dvd recovers to reload windows ,if so try this [Ctrl+F11]on bootup to access the recovery partition

In the midst of following the directions on the link Zero left. Guess I got ahead of myself & posted before reading the "read me".

I'd hope it's not hardware; I've only had the laptop since August 2010.

In case your gonna post the required scanlogs I think you should start a thread of your own
the OP might not be happy to find that someone else will receive help for the thread he created :)

were you going to burn dvd recovers to reload windows ,if so try this [Ctrl+F11]on bootup to access the recovery partition

That was the plan. However that may not be an option if during the 2nd disc it crash & burns. I imagine CTRL+F11 will allow me to burn the recovery partition manually. I'll try this after the GMER Rootkit scanner does its thing. Thanks!

I imagine CTRL+F11 will allow me to burn the recovery partition manually. I'll try this after the GMER Rootkit scanner does its thing. Thanks!

nope it will allow you reinstall your windows and make things right with the computer ,you will be going back to factory settings in doing this
,and then you may be able to make the recovers ,

Again, that was the plan; to burn recovery discs.

I had a buddy of mine who used to be on Geek Squad take a look at it too. He ran a check on the hard drive itself, and found that the OS partition was f'ed up and had bad sectors in it. Turns out there wasn't any malware that he could find either (somewhat of a relief). Bad news is though that I'm probably going to have to replace the HD soon. There was another message board of people who had the same laptop - same model bought around the same time period - were having the HD malfunction.

So, I hope this helps the OP - unless he's already said "screw it" and bought a new HD. Thanks to everyone for all the help. At least I know where to go & how to start troubleshooting next time (before asking for help).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.