Member Avatar for Moe1981

My Mcafee subscription runs out in 6 days and they're offering a renew for 60 bux a year. its not about the money but i had some infections last year despite having uptodate definitions so i'm not sure its the best one out there.

other options?

kaspersky? Norton? or should i renew mcafee?

thx

apparently this is #1 ? never heard of it

http://www.pcantivirusreviews.com/Co...FUOK4AodkUsAiQ

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

I set up two laptops for relatives and I just put on Microsoft Security Essentials. I've read good reviews from several sources including Ask Leo and Windows Secrets.

based on the amount of information, i think Norton, McAfee, Bitdefender Antivirus Plus, and Kapersky are quite popular...

All of the AV and anti-malware products mentioned so far perform fairly well. None of them are going to be 100%. Good security and protection happens by layering different protection schemes (firewall, AV, educating users about social engineering, keeping systems patched, etc..).

commented: Agree :-) +13

JorgeM's facts are actually 100% accuarate, i have had antivirus products that failed to protect my computer from most threats. And because of all those failures of getting my windows computer protected, i switched and became a mac person.

Hi Guys

Please use Zonlaram Antivirus

This Is Good For your PC

I have used Avast Free for many, many years without issue. BitDefender is the highest rated AV (AntiVirus) out there, but I still haven't had opportunity to try it, haven't needed to.

You need a very well balanced AV, one that does its job, but doesn't affect performance to any great degree. Norton's and AVG fail quite badly in this area. Mcaffee is an AV that tries to get on as many PC's as possible, but doesn't have a good reputation at all.

In a previous similar thread I posted this AV comparison site - you will find a collection of helpful reports.

BitDefender is the highest rated AV (AntiVirus) out there, but I still haven't had opportunity to try it

I've used BitDefender for 10+ years and I'm very satisfied with it.

For a paid AV I can recommend Trend Micro. That's what my (pre-retirement) place of business uses for their 2000+ workstations/servers. Realizing that employees take work home, their licence also allowed employees to install it on their home computers.

For a paid AV I can recommend Trend Micro. That's what my (pre-retirement) place of business uses for their 2000+ workstations/servers. Realizing that employees take work home, their licence also allowed employees to install it on their home computers.

This wouldn't happen to be the CIA or Pentagon would it? :-D

just have to say I have never bought an antivirus program ,always use a free one ,AVG /Avast /MSE ect ect

To make sure you are safe and secure the most important things are:

1. work on a computer as a restricted user, better as guest account
  2. Adjust your brouser settings, so java script and similar are not executed, only when you want it because you trust the website
  3. Only open Email attachements from people you know.

After that it is also omportant to use an antivirus software: the free ones are as good as the non free, trust me.

I recommend you Avira Antivir. It is free, and the heuristic can be set to be very sensible. Heuristic means that the antivirus also detects programs not only because of the signature, but because of the functions that the program uses.

I have been using some Spy Software on my computer, for example the monitoring Software "Wolfeye Keylogger" from Chip Online. Long time that Keylogger was undetected from all Antivirus (also the non-free). Only Avira Antivir (Which is free!) detected the software because of the functions that it uses.

Please complete my list about the important security things to do...it may not be 100% complete...

why did you post the link to the keylogger

Eset internet security is good.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.