Is free bsd a good linux choice? I want to install it but I want to get a few words on what people think of it first. I have been drawn to Linux ever since I started using a linux server and now I want to try an Linux Operating system.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

FreeBSD isn't Linux.

It does use unix.

if you want to try linux OS try Ubuntu, or fedora ( both can be run from a live cd without installing on your pc)

It does use unix.

We know it does.
Linux, however, doesn't use any UNIX code.

EDIT: I recommend Ubuntu for beginners.

UNIX is not = linux

linux's full name is GNU/Linux and GNU stands for "GNU is NOT UNIX"

FreeBSD is unix based OS. Linux isn't OS. It's only kernel ;) based on minix. and if you don't know that, so you haven't skillse for work with FreeBSD ;) in my opinion you can try Debian for example..

yes

freebsd = kernel + userland

debian actually has a freebsd port but i dont think its ready for production use

http://www.linux.org/ Linux is a free Unix-type operating system originally created by Linus Torvalds with the assistance of developers around the world. Developed under the GNU General Public License , the source code for Linux is freely available to everyone. Click on the link below to find out more about the operating system that is causing a revolution in the world of computers

since that is from linux.org it is correct it does use unix I know more then you think because you really do not know me you are just on the other side of a computer responding without knowing what I do and don't know.

The quote never said that two were the same. All it said was that Linux was similar to Unix.

toger86, the keyword is that linux is "unix-like"

linux does not contain any unix code (unless you believe what SCO says in thier lawsuit against IBM)

Go watch RevolutionOS. It explains how Linux has nothing to do with UNIX code, and is just an attempt to recreate it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.