Hi all,

I am trying to build a Linux machine for graphic designing and video editing. Of GNOME and KDE, please help me choose one for best visual detail and efficient use of the hardware.

Recommended Answers

All 25 Replies

They are just desktops

The actual drawing is carried out by something called "x" (usually x.org nowadays) so you shouldnt notice any differences.

Personally i like Gnome though.

the new KDE 4 looks kind of cool, you can little widgets on the desktop, but in my opinion, gnome uses less system resources.

Yes, I run a debian system with gnome (im using the latest versions) and it uses between 50 and 200mb ram - just a bit better than windows XP

Debian + Gnome runs well on my pentium 3 with 384mb ram for websurfing, typing, email etc... (about the same as XP would)

graphic designing and video editing

That probably means you are used to macs in which case GNOME would be the easiest for you (its quite maccish, whereas KDE is vistaish)

KDE is windowsish, but there's many other desktop enviornments out there, like xfce, or beryl, compiz, etc

XFCE is nice (very like the mac)

beryl and compiz arernt desktops anyway, there window managers

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Dreamlinux, ships with blender3d the gimp and the dvd codecs straight out the box. I'm not sure about video editing though. But then I suppose it doesn't matter what linux flavour you're using cos most of the things you need can be installed.

If you're coming from a mac it has similarites.

http://www.dreamlinux.com.br/

Im pretty sure that Dreamlinux has APT so you can always download it

I like evilwm ;-p (icewm is nice if you want a tradtional(read: windows like) wm)

I like TWM for basic stuff, e.g on a redhat server where a GUI isnt necesarry apart from the rare occasion where you need to run a GUI tool

i use gnome, and i like its simplicity, although when KDE4 comes out..i will definately try it!

If you want video editing out of the box, i've heard that ubuntustudio is just for this case...also keep in mind that if you pick ubuntu{any flavor} you will have the support of the largest community {www.ubuntuforums.org}...i use gnome, and i like its simplicity, although when KDE4 comes out..i will definately try it!

If you want video editing out of the box, i've heard that ubuntustudio is just for this case...also keep in mind that if you pick ubuntu{any flavor} you will have the support of the largest community {www.ubuntuforums.org}...

although when KDE4 comes out..i will definately try it!

i dont like it. Too "fluffy" and vista-ish. I like my WM to be practical.

>If you want video editing out of the box, i've heard that ubuntustudio is just for this case...also keep in mind that if you pick ubuntu{any flavor} you will have the support of the largest community

But definetely not the most knowledgable.

Oh and whats with debians crappy community? Its awful...

commented: KDE>GNOME +12

I have always have good support with the debian community. Thats the main reason i went back to Debian from Gentoo

>If you want video editing out of the box, i've heard that ubuntustudio is just for this case...also keep in mind that if you pick ubuntu{any flavor} you will have the support of the largest community

But definetely not the most knowledgable.

Oh and whats with debians crappy community? Its awful...

this used to be true...but i don't think it holds anyore...The fact is that the simle questions that we noobies ask, are definitely answered...also there are guides for almost everything..

i dont like it. Too "fluffy" and vista-ish. I like my WM to be practical.

i think that the hard part of making kde4 won't be its looks but also to make it more practical than the previus versions...i hope the suceed:)

Last time I checked debian forums sucked...

> I have always have good support with the debian community. Thats the main reason i went back to Debian from Gentoo

I thought you hated gentoo.

question:
I'm planning on making a backup server that will back up all the files in the machines in my house. Is it better to use windows home server- i tried the beta and i thought it was good- or is it better to use debian or some distro like that? What I like about windows home server is the simplicity of it, and that you're able to restore any computer if it were to crash. But with linux it would be hard to do the same thing, wouldn't it?

>I thought you hated gentoo.

I do but loads of people kept asking me to try it so i did but i got stuck and when i asked on the gentoo forums i got called a n00b by some really unhelpful people which just helped to compund my hate of gentoo

Personally, i dont like WHS. On my home LAN i have a PC with a core debian install + base system (i used the netinstall cd abd chose those 2 categories - installed and downloaded in well under an hour) and use SAMBA to share files to my windows PCs

is there a way to back up in linux, that is like whs? i'm just looking for the easiest way of doing this.

I use samba and an Rsync script i made to do incremental backups of my my documents (shared by samba) to my linux server

cause that's what i like about whs. It'll automaticaly back up files and settings and you can restore them if your computer crashes.

I havent tried it. I dont think its out over here

I tried the beta, which was a little buggy, but nonetheless I liked it. I would recommend it, expect it only works on xp and vista, obviously.

2k?

no. I guess MS wants to completley get rid of 2000 and below, I think they probably won't support xp for much longer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.