Alrighty, here's the problem:

I am installing linux on a sony VAIO that has a:

01:00.0 WGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x (rev 64)

I have tried installing the drm module "mach64" (after discovering that this is a mach64 chipset, I think) along with the xf86 driver "ati" (compiled with the mach64 module existing and modprobe'd), as according to a tutorial I found here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=406389

I used the "script" of sorts in post 6, debugged - I'll attach it for you (had to change to format ".txt", just take that off. If you're running it it needs root access to resolve the dependency issues I found).

After all that, I still get direct rendering: No (If you want to know why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose) , but I see a problem here...

$ glxinfo |grep "direct rendering"
Locking assertion failure.  Backtrace:
#0 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0 [0xb7bd7767]
#1 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0(xcb_xlib_unlock+0x31) [0xb7bd78b1]
#2 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 [0xb7c6d421]
#3 /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1(__glXInitialize+0x596) [0xb7ea33cc]
#4 /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1 [0xb7e9ffc8]
#5 /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1(glXChooseVisual+0x29) [0xb7ea1124]
#6 glxinfo [0x8049448]
#7 glxinfo [0x8049b23]
#8 /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe0) [0xb7d2b450]
#9 glxinfo [0x8048d51]
direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)

If I knew what a locking assertion failure was, I'd fix it... But I don't.

So, I guess it comes down to this:
What is a locking assertion failure, why is it occurring, and how can I fix it?
Secondly, how can I get direct rendering on this card? If fixing this won't fix it, I'm outta ideas. My /etc/X11/xorg.conf is one from online posted by someone who has it working with dr enabled, so it can't be that, unless I need to drop the colors down to 16 bit instead of 24.

Thanks for any help you can give me, I'd really appreciate it.
I'm about ready to wash my hands of this project, which will hopefully get another person learning how to use linux, and give me somewhere to go to play stepmania on a pad for free. ^_^

Alright! I found a fix for the locking assertion failure (although I don't fully understand what happened, I wasn't paying all that much attention...).

It turns out that libx11-6 has a conflict with the older and un-updated libGL.so.1, that causes an incompatibility if libx11-6 is too new. The fix is basically to downgrade libx11-6 from 1.1.3 to 1.1.1. Here's the link to the .deb in the ubuntu 7.10 repositories: http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/i386/libx11-6/download

Also, here's the faq I found that describes the problem and solutions: http://forum.tuxx-home.at/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=565

However, that doesn't fix my direct rendering: No , unfortunately.

But, I'll keep digging... If nothing else, as usual, I'll document the problem, causes, and solutions here so no-one else has to deal with all this.

ALRIGHT... The script I have is to enable drm support in the kernel. What that is, I don't know, but it ISN'T Direct Rendering, and if it is, it isn't all of it. I finally figures out how to pass LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose to glxinfo... check it out:

~$ LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo |grep rendering
direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)
raziel@nosgoth:~$ LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo |grep rendering
libGL: XF86DRIGetClientDriverName: 6.7.0 mach64 (screen 0)
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/mach64_dri.so
libGL error: dlopen /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/mach64_dri.so failed (/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/mach64_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL error: unable to find driver: mach64_dri.so

I figured this would help out any out there, at least as an update. I think I know how to dri... so I'll be back in a little bit.

/me comes back...
^_^
http://cassianoleal.wordpress.com/2008/03/08/one-more-try-on-the-mach64/
I now have direct rendering: Yes .

to basically sum up the problem I had, I had a "missing shared object file" error. These happen to me all the time, believe it or not, and I usually don't have to download anything.
I tried downloading the package libgl1-mesa-dri - the one that has this file in it - but that didn't work for me. (because of the earlier problem with the whole mis-matched versions)
However - I already had the package on my computer. It turns out that the package installs to /usr/lib/dri and not /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri . So I added a symlink (after making sure /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri was empty):

~# rm -R /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri
~# ln -s /usr/lib/dri /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri

I'm updating the script (the one I attached above) to also include all this non-sense (I LOVE it when all I need is a symlink... sure, it pisses me off while I'm searching, but then it's so easy to fix once you figure it out.)

so Yeah, That's how we got 3d acceleration.
Just for clarity's sake:
I used Ubuntu 8.10 (2.6.24-19-generic).
I changed DRIVER_VS in the script to 1.11.0, so it got that version of the drm files for the mach64.ko kernel module.
The machine's a Sony VAIO laptop (pcg-fxa49).
The video card's an ATI Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x (01:00:00.0 1002:4c4d) rev 64
The video card's chipset is a "mach64" (which would be a ridiculously impossible speed... if it were even plausible enough to exist ^_^),
Again, I'll post the attachment script in a while, I have to go right now though.
I'll also post my xorg.conf, in case someone needs it.

I wish I could edit all my posts here so that I could make a proper HOWTO on this. Maybe I'll ask the mods about it, or find a more appropriate place on the tubes for it.

Alrighty, here's the script I wrote up... I did get a lot of the code in parts 1 and 2 from dougfractal on ubuntuforums.org, but part 3 was me using the ideas I got from cassianoleal on wordpress.com (the link is in the above post). I tried to give credit where it was due.
You have to change the filename to not have the .txt, because it would really irk me to know someone out there executed a text-file. ^_^U
Also, I have included my xorg.conf, which is working with direct rendering: Yes . I don't know where I got this, anymore, but I don't think they wrote it anyway, so I don't really feel bad not listing them in my credits. The keyboard layout is "us", with no options or anything fancy like that. (I feel obligated to tell you that, cause when I downloaded it it was dvorak and I didn't know it. That was a mess to clean up.)

I hope someone finds this useful at some point! I sure would've 3 days ago.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.