I posted this in the C++ forum, apparently this is a better place... I need to install GTK+ on Linux, but since im obviously still a complete ignorant fool when it comes to linux (have never used it before) I need help. I dont understand how to install all of the tools that it requires. Can anyone help me to set these things up? I tried to follow the instructions for installation but it didn't help. I keep getting an error with $ make install saying that i dont have permission to access /usr/local for some reason. I just have no clue on this...

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by aralk

you need to run it as root use the sudo -i then login as root
then run the ./configure command and then the make install command
but you need to be logged in as root or belong to a group that has access to that directory

well that fixed that problem but ive run into a whole host of new problems... thanks anyways

Is there any reason you can't use the package manager (Synaptic in this case) to install it? It will resolve all of the dependencies for you.

I wanted to do that, seeing as it would be simpler by leaps and bounds, but alas i cant seem to find it in a package! I searched all of the GTK+ page and can't find it in anything but a source tarball (please excuse me if anything i say about stuff sounds stupid, still EXTREMELY new to all this linux stuff! Not an easy transition from windows for me). If anyone has a package though, i would be MORE than happy to use that since i dont have a freakin clue what im doing with the terminal quite yet.

it takes some time of yelling and hiting the keyboard before it becomes like second nature try to stick with it you'll get it

i could be wrong but i think this would work in your distro

run the following as a command

sudo apt get install gnome-core-devel build-essential install libgtk2.0-dev libgtk2.0-doc devhelp
sudo apt get install gnome-core-devel build-essential install libgtk2.0-dev libgtk2.0-doc devhelp

this command did not work, but i modified it based on what the terminal was telling me and this is what ended up actually doing something:

sudo apt-get install gnome-core-devel build-essential libgtk2.0-dev libgtk2.0-doc dev-help

is that the same thing or did i install some weird never-get-rid-of-this thing?

well, it says it installed the package, but now when i try to use it the programs will not compile. error messages:

Package gtk+-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtk+-2.0.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'gtk+-2.0' found
first.c:1:21: error: gtk/gtk.h: No such file or directory
first.c: In function ‘main’:
first.c:5: error: ‘GtkWidget’ undeclared (first use in this function)
first.c:5: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
first.c:5: error: for each function it appears in.)
first.c:5: error: ‘window’ undeclared (first use in this function)
first.c:9: error: ‘GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL’ undeclared (first use in this function)

any ideas?

Ok, so i got it all installed, but now when i try to use:

#include <gtk/gtk.h>

to include it, i get errors that the file cannot be found. apparently it was installed at /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtk.h. This file is found when i include it, only problem is, when i do, none of the files included in it are found. how do i configure gcc to find these files correctly?

Sorry to bump this but now i have another problem... I am compiling using the configuration stated on GTK+ website:

gcc -Wall -g test.c -o test `pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0` \ `pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0`

but i keep getting the following error:

gcc:  -lgtk-x11-2.0: No such file or directory

Im guessing this must be another package or something that i need to install... can anyone tell me what im missing?

uhm....excuse me....may i know what ubuntu do you use? because i guess that the command line
"sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev" is enough to install gtk on ubuntu...
or if the application you wish to install is Gnome apps..may be you wish to type the command line
"sudo apt-get install gnome-core-devel"
i'm using ubuntu 9.04 jaunty jackalope and i don't have any trouble with it...

Im using jaunty as well, 9.04. I guess i'll have a try with that, thank you.

sudo apt-get install gnome-core-devel build-essential libgtk2.0-dev libgtk2.0-doc dev-help
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package dev-help

it doesnt work

i cant install gtk+ .
someone can help me please
firts time i use that SO

Hitting better chip

Hitting better chip shots requires a few fundamentals, www.golfwholesale18.com most of which get ishiner overlooked by beginner and better players alike. Let’s look at a few and get your chipping back on track.

There are a couple of typos in the command given. It should read:
sudo apt-get install gnome-core-devel build-essential libgtk2.0-dev libgtk2.0-doc devhelp

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.