i have recently migrated to Linux Ubuntu from Windows. how do i install software using source code

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

change directory to source code folder
cd /home/dinhunzvi/Downloads/theFolder
./configure && make && sudo make install

It depends on what you are installing. If it needs headers/libraries and the language it is coded in

if it is python don't do configure stuffs. Just cd to dir and do
sudo python setup.py install

i have been trying to install mysql and i get an error when i type the ./configure command.

i have been trying to install mysql and i get an error when i type the ./configure command.

Make Ubuntu Docs your first stop (RTM).
Now from Docs you need to do:

sudo apt-get install apache2 php5-mysql libapache2-mod-php5 mysql-server

how do i install the gnu compiler collection for ubuntu? my internet connection is too slow for me to download such big files so compiling source is the way top go for me

how do i install the gnu compiler collection for ubuntu? my internet connection is too slow for me to download such big files so compiling source is the way top go for me

What will you compile them with?

sudo apt-get install build-essentials

have tried that commands, it's now saying "E: Unable to locate package build-essentials"

have tried that commands, it's now saying "E: Unable to locate package build-essentials"

Sorry my typo: it is build-essential

sudo apt-get install build-essential

thanks it's now working

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.