I have installed fedora 7.0 to my laptop and for school purpose I have to format it and install freeBSD. Can anyone please tell me how i format fedora ? since i can't simply go to bio and delete the partition like windows anymore....

I download freeBSD from the internet with another pc... should i burn it to CDR and boot from this disk after formating my fedora? thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

You don't need to format your disk prior to installing FreeBSD. The installer allows you to run fdisk, which you can use to repartition your disk. After doing so, the installer will format the partitions you created and will copy the operating system onto them.

You don't need to format your disk prior to installing FreeBSD. The installer allows you to run fdisk, which you can use to repartition your disk. After doing so, the installer will format the partitions you created and will copy the operating system onto them.

I got the freeBSD iso from the internet, i basically unzip the iso file and copy everything into the CDR. When I put the CDR to my laptop, it doesn't boot up to the CD. I don't even know how to change the system to boot from cdrom in my fedora system. (I am pretty new to linux)
so i probably don't have the proper freeBSD installation CD???

So if i got the proper freeBSD CD, it will pop up the fdisk windows? Maybe all i need to know now is how to boot my fedora from the CDROM... please help. Thanks

>i basically unzip the iso file and copy everything into the CDR.
You're not burning it correctly, then. You need a special iso burning program which will burn the iso as an image onto the CD. The CD software that came with your computer probably has this capability, but if it doesn't, you can use the freely available InfraRecorder.

The other thing you may have to do is modify your BIOS to change the boot priority. It's possible that your hard drive has higher priority than your CD ROM drive, and your computer is simply ignoring any disk you put in, regardless of whether it's bootable or not.

>i basically unzip the iso file and copy everything into the CDR.
You're not burning it correctly, then. You need a special iso burning program which will burn the iso as an image onto the CD. The CD software that came with your computer probably has this capability, but if it doesn't, you can use the freely available InfraRecorder.

The other thing you may have to do is modify your BIOS to change the boot priority. It's possible that your hard drive has higher priority than your CD ROM drive, and your computer is simply ignoring any disk you put in, regardless of whether it's bootable or not.

ok, i have successfully burned the freeBSD cd and changed the boot sequence of my laptop.

I now can boot to the freeBSD cd... fdisk and install it. However, when i was at the step to set up the DHCP.. it asks for the "server name " and "domain name" "ipv4" and "gateway" .... what would they be? I am using comcast at home. the laptop i am installing freeBSD has wireless capability.

I also successfully installed win vista to the same laptop but seems like the wireless is not working. It works before without the freeBSD installed.

sorry, that's lotz of questions. thanks a lot.

I don't know how your home network is set up, and I don't know the details of connecting a computer to Comcast, but since you mentioned you're on wireless, I'm assuming a internet -> router -> laptop network setup.

>"server name "
This is the name of your computer. You can call it anything you want; in a home network it has very little meaning.

>"domain name"
Again, this usually doesn't matter. In your network, it's probably a good idea to set all the computers to the same domain, but it won't really make much of a difference.

>"ipv4"
This is the current internet protocol version (which is gradually becoming replaced with ipv6). If you don't know what ipv6 is, you should be using ipv4.

>"gateway"
Put the IP address of your router here.

Of course, this also raises the question: which interface(s) did you configure? If you only configured your wired ethernet, you'll eventually have to do something similar for your wireless interface (if it's detected; if not, you'll have to install wireless drivers prior to doing this).

>I also successfully installed win vista to the same laptop but seems like the wireless is
>not working. It works before without the freeBSD installed.

Sorry, I'm not well versed with Windows Vista. All I can say is that multi-booting operating systems in general don't affect each other, and as such, I highly doubt FreeBSD is to blame.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.