Member Avatar for kohkohkoh

i'm so confuse about the installation for linux Operating system on a normal computer system.
regarding on techtv shows.. i overheard that linux os can be installed on it(the normal pc)... but when i ask the technician..he answered me.... "NOPE, there is no way it could"...
my question is... can linux and other operation systems can be installed on the normal pc...
thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

yes they can i currently have linux running on my laptop which is a toshiba pc with nothing that is different when the computer shipped with win xp :)

Member Avatar for kohkohkoh

can i know the pros and cons for these two os..
win xp and linux.

but when i ask the technician..he answered me.... "NOPE, there is no way it could"...

Your "technician" had no idea what he's talking about, and has probably never even touched a Linux box.
I've built plenty of computers that run both Windows and Linux. Heck, one of my test machines has 6 operating systems installed on it: 3 versions of Linux, Win 98, Win 2K, and Win XP Pro- and it's an old Pentium III 500!

In terms of the differences between XP and Linux, that's an extrememly broad question, and you'll get a wide variety of answers, not all of them accurate. Any version of Windows is quite different than any version of Linux/UNIX; asking about the differences between the two is like asking about the difference between a Walrus and a Petunia.

What I'd suggest is that you do a lot more reading and research to educate yourself about basic Linux concepts such as its file structure (what folders and files it uses and how they're layed out), the different desktop environments that are available (KDE, Gnome, etc.), some basic Linux commands, what Linux programs are similar to what you might use in Windows, and other areas like that. The Linux Documentation Project has a ton of online books, guides, HOT-TOs, and FAQs about many areas of the Linux environment. Some of the information is for intermediate to advanced users, but there's a lot there that can help a Linux newcomer as well. Google also has a Linux-specific search page which is a great place to find resources on specific questions you might have: www.google.com/linux.
I'd also suggest buying a Linux book or two; most people find O'Reilly Press' "Running Linux" to be a great book for beginners.

One very good way to learn Linux without even needing to know how to install it on your computer at all is to get one of the "live" versions such as Knoppix. These versions can run entirely from a CD, and while the performance is slower that using an operating system that's on your hard drive, you can get familiar with Linux without endangering your current Windows installation at all.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.