Hi,

My HDD is divided into 2 partition. I have Ubuntu installed on one partition and Win XP Prof installed on another. I obviously select one to boot my computer. Let's say I booted from WinXP and also want to use Ubuntu without restarting the PC. Is this possible. Do i have to reboot all the time?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

VirtualBox

You can create a virtual machine and install Ubuntu inside Windows or vice versa. This way you can run 2 systems at the same time. What I did was I used OpenSolaris for the entire drive, installed Windows inside VirtualBox and never need to reboot. Note that this will not be running Ubuntu off of your second partition. You will have to actually do a fresh install inside Windows where it will appear as a really big file.

commented: Yay :) +36

I take it as there is no way of doing it without rebooting. Thanks. Not interested in VM thou.

something i used to run was cooperative linux it actually installs sidebyside with windows its pretty neat and not a virtual machine
http://www.colinux.org/
otherwise your best bet is running cygwin to get some unix-type functionality in windows.

I take it as there is no way of doing it without rebooting. Thanks. Not interested in VM thou.

This does not require rebooting. Did you not read what i wrote?Or are you not to keen on that option too even though its not a VM?

This does not require rebooting. Did you not read what i wrote?Or are you not to keen on that option too even though its not a VM?

Actually Portable Ubuntu uses CoLinux to make it work. And here I quote the CoLinux website...

The memory settings currently suggested for the coLinux virtual machine range from 64 Mb (Windows machines with 160 Mb of RAM or more) to 128 Mo (Windows machines with 256 Mb of RAM or more), or even more.

So, yes it IS a type of virtual machine. ;)

Technically maybe it is a type of virtual machine but it runs totally different than any of the standard VM programs. The speed and memory impact with colinux vs something like vmware or virtualbox and the integration with windows is nice to work with if thats what you need.

My personal preference is vmware workstation or vmware server.

Actually Portable Ubuntu uses CoLinux to make it work. And here I quote the CoLinux website...

So, yes it IS a type of virtual machine. ;)

I don't want VM becasue, it slows down my computer. I used that before that's why i have 2 partitions in my HDD for each OSs. However, i can try other options to see how fast or slow they are.

Well if you want them both at the same time, then some kind of VM approach is the only way AFAIK.

Unless you want to jerry-rig a second motherboard and convince them both to use the same HD.
It would be a lot easier to get two physical machines for what you seem to want to do.

As for slowing down, well that depends on what you're doing doesn't it?
Sure, you might not get 60FPS from your latest game inside the machine which is VM'ed, but do you really need it?

either that or setup a new box and just put vnc on it to be able to remotely access it

Thanks for your help guys. I think it is time for me to decide what to do.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.