Hi,

I have a place called "31 GB Media" which is C: drive in MyPlaces. I wanted to copy a folder from it to Ubuntu. I have typed this line in terminal but "No such file or directory" is returned.

sudo cp -r /31\ GB\ Media/Test/FolderWithFiles/ /var/www/

Where is the mistake?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Look in your /media/ folder
after you mount your disk, usually there is a folder created there (often just called disk) and everything on your C: drive will be there.

I wanted to know what was wrong with the syntax.

nothing it seems, your problem doesn't seem to be syntax related... except the /31\ GB\ Media/Test/FolderWithFiles/ which unless this is just your example and not your actual usage or you have actually mounted it there, won't exist :-/

'31 GB Media' is exact name for my C: which is listed in Places.

sudo cp -r /31\ GB\ Media/Test/FolderWithFiles/ /var/www/

Yes but places always gives nice names to your disks. If you open it from places and look at your location (text-based, not button), then you will see where it is really located. Most likely it is located in /media/ under the name 'disk'.

check your umask for /var/www/

OOps didn't read the replys above.. :$

so, this isn't going to be it, but does matter in some cases where umask is not set to "0000".

Yes ryuslash. It is in /media/ directory as disk.
Thanks

No problem, man, glad I could help :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.