hiya i mucked with virtual pc 2004...tried out my redhat8,i was able to go online and yak it up with yahoo messenger for linux.
thus i was definitely encouraged to go and load it on a seprate
drive
well.it wont work,the card that is..
it wont initialize.and i am seriously confused.
worse still,(does it get beter?)
i was instructed with the ifconfig,yadda dhclient yada
no luck(even the modprobe )
so i placed my ip ,subnet mask and even the other stuff that windows xp showed for my ip
well
it initialized
and if i hadnt fallen asleep i think i may have reached yahoo
in other words it did not go there
key things
one
i have cable ,two it worked in virtpc
any ideas guys and gals?
i need help
becuase i even tried rolling back to a red hat 7.1 i had only that time it didnt work out
can you help?
and jst ask me the questions i will get the answers
one other thing
when i modprobe whatever..the 8139too ,as it was booting up it would freeze the activation saying it was the wrong driver.
any help is needed
thanks

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

So what specific realtek nic do you have anyway?

Is there a source driver on the installation disk? One nic that I bought had a linux directory that had the source that I compiled myself. Though for that you do need to have either the kernel source and/or the headers installed.

As knute said, we need to know the exact model of the Realtek card; there are a few out there, and they don't all use the 8139too module. A good start would be to open a terminal window and issue the following command (case-sensitive, and the first letter is a lower-case "L"):

lspci -vv |grep Eth

Post the results, and we can take it from there.

If you want, take a look through these troubleshooting steps. They apply only to static addressing, so if you're supposed to be using DHCP, let us know.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.