Hi,
I Am A Third Year Computer Engineering Student.
I Am Interested In Doing Some Project On Unix Platform For My Final Year
I Need Help In Selecting The Topic .

Please Help Me.

Contributors
Replies
Views
12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by alc6379

That is an extremely broad question; can you narrow it down a bit?:

- What experience do you have with *NIX operating systems?

- What experience do you have programming for the various *NIX operating systems (Linux, BSD, etc.), and which would be your platform of choice?

- Are there any specific guidelines that you have to adhere to in terms of the final year's project's scope? That is- does the project demand that you focus on a certain thing such as a writing some type of device driver, a GUI applet, etc.?

I have just started studying unix.
i have very good knowledge of c,studied 386 architecture & programming in detail, also studied D.O.S device drivers.i want to do my project in core systems/kernel programming.
Actually i am new to unix i wanted to know some project ideas so that i can directly focus on those areas. Once i decide the project i can work on that specific area.

Thought about writing a device driver for Linux, perhaps?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1565922921/102-0604966-5473715?v=glance

This book has a really neat example of how you could write a kernel device interface to the system's memory. You could be really ambitious, and try to write a full-fledged device driver, or you could just write some kind of simple device driver to a serial device, or something. It sounds like you have enough interests there to get you started with some kind of project...

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.