Guys I am starting my final year project in Sept this year and I have been looking around for a project to do so there is this one that I am most likely going to chose [choosing from a list]
To be honest I am not a big fan of programming. So my Qn is how can I go about it to lay my proposal for this project. I know I have to do some database design but what other technologies can I use for this can I use ASP

MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEM FOR THE SCHOOL OF INFORMATICS

Context of Proposed Project:
A management information system is required that
(1) Enables students to view and update their personal details
(2) Enables students to view their examination and coursework marks for modules they have taken
(3) Enables administrative staff to register new students on courses and progress them through stages of their course,
(4) Enables module coordinators to enter module marks for students who most recently sat a module thay have taught.
Activities Involved:
· Review and critique of existing management information systems.
· Review of possible development platforms.
· Selection of a suitable development platform.
· Requirements capture and refinement,
· design, coding, testing and documentation.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

If you use ASP.NET and SQL server 2000.It will be really easy.

I did my first project similar to that.It was really interesting.

Hi everyone,

If you use ASP.NET and SQL server 2000.It will be really easy.

I did my first project similar to that.It was really interesting.

Could not have said it better myself.

Richard West

Waal that sounds encouraging although the problems is I am still in darkness regarding ASP.NET .

At the moment I am working on something, I am building a web application that will access SQL server 2000 so I am developing the front end using ASP.ODBC as middleware. So that workers can log online and be able to view and update details, as their access rights will allow them.

I am still new to ASP!! Is it any close to ASP.NET or they are very different?? Or can I use ASP instead of ASP.NET.

My other Qn?? Will be are these two the same or they are quite different I mean what I am doing now and the project that I intent to do

ASP and ASP.NET is a whole different language.ASP.NET has much more flexibility than ASP with its Object Oriented Prog.
I prefer ASP.NET to be much easier if you use a database like SQL server 2000.
The same can be achieved in ASP too but it demands a lot of work.
And also I see that you are a student,if you use ASP.NET (whose demand is more than ASP) it will be very useful for your Career.

Taking into consideration what you have advised me I think I will go for ASP.NET I will have to start to look for tutorial and text books around that subject.
So is it ok if I am to approach it in this way ---: I will have a SQL Server 2000 as my back end and use OLEDB or ODBC as my middleware and then ASP.NET as the front end.

MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEM FOR THE SCHOOL OF INFORMATICS

Context of Proposed Project:
A management information system is required that
(1) Enables students to view and update their personal details
(2) Enables students to view their examination and coursework marks for modules they have taken
(3) Enables administrative staff to register new students on courses and progress them through stages of their course,
(4) Enables module coordinators to enter module marks for students who most recently sat a module thay have taught

Looking at my brief proposal above ,I will be having my database with the following tables [Students, Courses, Modules, Staff] which will be accessed by students and staff using passwords [with three different types of users Admin, students and Module co-ordinators] students will be able to view and update according to their access rights.

What are some of the things that I need to take into consideration or things I need to add for it to be a meaningful 3rd year project?

Thanks for the help
WILL

If it was me,
I would add these
1.Encryption on passwords in the Database
2.Use crystal reports,Just to get a hang of it.
3.Write a SP for any one of the process.
4.Provide a Datagrid with Editing features.

Hope it helps

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.