Hi

I need to know what's the best/stable and free OS for servers. (I was advised to install Ubuntu 9.04 Server). Did anybody installed this before on a heavily loaded commercial environment?

Regards,

Thisara

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

Debian stable (used to be the most stable one from what I know)

RHEL5.4 of course.

RHEL5.4 of course.

Thisara asked for a free Linux so RHEL can't be suggested. Maybe CentOS (it's a Red Hat rebuilt) could be a good choice or Debian stable as suggested by ryuslash. Ubuntu server is based on Debian and could be a valid solution. My suggestion is to install the distribution that you are most familiar with.

Thisara asked for a free Linux so RHEL can't be suggested. Maybe CentOS (it's a Red Hat rebuilt) could be a good choice or Debian stable as suggested by ryuslash. Ubuntu server is based on Debian and could be a valid solution. My suggestion is to install the distribution that you are most familiar with.

Who said you can't get RHEL for free? support and RHN cost money, Linux is free

Who said you can't get RHEL for free? support and RHN cost money, Linux is free

Actually I disagree with your sentence.
Linux isn't always free and RHEL is not free (intended as gratis). You can install it (if you find cds) but without a subscription it's almost useless (you don't have the access to their repositories and so you can't use yum, pirut and pup). Linux is always open (in fact even RH gives you the permit to access their sources), not free. Here there's an interesting discussion about it.
It's not always simple to understand that "free'' is short for "freedom'': the usual explanation of the meaning in this environment is the famous sentence of R. M. Stallmann "free as free speech, not free beer". Those interested in reading advocacy pieces for open source software and free software should see http://www.opensource.org and http://www.fsf.org.

yep, centOS is a free rebuild of RHEL but its a crap choice for a server (peoplke say its great - read on to see why i disagree)

1) No support. if you are running a misssion-critical business system, its worth it to pay for the support

2) The lag in patch-time.

When RedHat discover a vulnerability, they announce it and release a patch. It takes Centos 1-7 days to release thier own version. In that time, you could be hacked.

I say RHEL, SLES or if you want a low-cost solution, debian.

I agree with the statements about CentOS, the lag time is a bit excessive recently due to the whole power struggle in the organization. Ubuntu is a good choice, but if you are going to use it for a server, use the LTS (Long term support) release. 8.04 was an LTS and I believe 9.10 is going to be an LTS (Not sure on the specifics of that though). The normal Ubuntu lifespan is only about 6 months, but the LTS releases are supported for 2 years.

I'd say Debian, as it is very stable compared to ubuntu, as other distrobutions.

I know you asked for a linux OS but why not FreeBSD? I'm setting up my own server and i was adviced to use it as an excellent choice for my purpose.

I know you asked for a linux OS but why not FreeBSD? I'm setting up my own server and i was adviced to use it as an excellent choice for my purpose.

ever considered why freebsd is not widespread in corporate server setups?

ever considered why freebsd is not widespread in corporate server setups?

MS ran hotmail on FreeBSD between 1996 and 2003. Worked fine for them.

Yahoo also (still) run on FreeBSD as do big names like Sony, the Apache foundation and Netcraft.

I agree that it indeed an excellent choice for servers.

MS ran hotmail on FreeBSD between 1996 and 2003. Worked fine for them.

MS isn't much of an example where OSS comes in

Yahoo also (still) run on FreeBSD as do big names like Sony, the Apache foundation and Netcraft.

they are also using qmail, which is deprecated everywhere.

I agree that it indeed an excellent choice for servers.

it used to be before kernel 2.6 for linux came along. but Linux is nowadays much farther ahead than BSD.

it used to be before kernel 2.6 for linux came along. but Linux is nowadays much farther ahead than BSD.

I'm still a wannabe, what makes linux better than BSD in this matter?

I'm still a wannabe, what makes linux better than BSD in this matter?

Better hardware support for wireless cards, video cards, laptops etc makes it better for home users.

...and better enterprise grade hardware support makes it better for companies

Hi

I need to know what's the best/stable and free OS for servers. (I was advised to install Ubuntu 9.04 Server). Did anybody installed this before on a heavily loaded commercial environment?

Regards,

Thisara

Whats the best/stable and free OS for servers.?

1) CentOS (Basically a rebranding of RHEL without the Commercial $upport, app$ and logo$, binary compatible with RHEL)

2) Debian (Rock Solid FREE! without Commercial $upport truly your community backed linux distro)

after those 2 above another free community backed rock solid distro that would be great for servers would be Slackware Linux, IMHO.

**Commercial Offerings:
If you want with Commercial $upport then go for RHEL.
A 2nd runner up in this commercial category, would be Novell's
Suse Linux Enterprise Server Edition (SLES)

**GNU\Linux set aside:
If you decide to try something really secure that's not GNU\Linux but another unix-like OS that's really stable and secure Especially Great for Servers and FREE, FREE, FREE, probably more free than GNU\Linux because of such BSD licenses, go for FreeBSD.

2) Debian (Rock Solid FREE! without Commercial $upport truly your community backed linux distro)

**GNU\Linux set aside:
If you decide to try something really secure that's not GNU\Linux but another unix-like OS that's really stable and secure Especially Great for Servers and FREE, FREE, FREE, probably more free than GNU\Linux because of such BSD licenses, go for FreeBSD.

So between Debian and FreeBSD what would you choose and why?

Debian because its easier to keep patched in my opinion and it has lots of software available.

Debian because its easier to keep patched in my opinion and it has lots of software available.

Which version of debian should i ask? :D

Use Debian "Stable" (currently "Lenny" 5.0.3 ). Use the "testing" repositories instead if you want a more up-to-date desktop system, its generally pretty safe (do NOT use "testing" on a server, as those packages do not recieve timely security patches compared to "stable"). I dont reccomend ever using "sid" (the current bleeding-edge, akin to fedoras 'rawhide')

I agree Red Hat Linux is the best
I am using it.
Also Ubuntu is a good option

Go with Debian. Extremely Stable!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.