I currently have my website running on a host: combell
but over a half-year I have to upgrade; caus I think it costs very much (although for a student) I'm thinking of start an own server on my laptop;

some problems:

• I guess it's not good to turn of your computer if it is a server and I need to be able to turn it off each night
  • I run a desktop edition of Karmic and I don't want to delete that; is it possible to run the server seperate from the desktop edition on one computer or in a virtual machine on my desktop edition?

please help me with those problems!

some problems:

• I guess it's not good to turn of your computer if it is a server and I need to be able to turn it off each night
  • I run a desktop edition of Karmic and I don't want to delete that; is it possible to run the server seperate from the desktop edition on one computer or in a virtual machine on my desktop edition?

The difference between the server and desktop versions is just the packages installed. So, although having both desktop and server packages installed will use more disk, and while you are using the desktop and people are using the website, you will have to share resources like disk and memory. It is not like Windows. There is no limit on how many people connect with the limit being lower on the desktop version, it is just different applications installed, and possibly slightly different performance tweaks.

That said, exactly how do you expect anyone to connect to the machine while it is off? This will not work. You may just need to find cheaper hosting. The good news is that if you install the server applications (web and database server, etc.) on your laptop, using the same applications as the hosting service uses, it makes a good test platform, because the server and development environment are the same.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.