Hi All,

I have not been using unix itself for long I usually just brows the file system via the window ui, now I know how to change directory using the cd command, but how do I move backwords. Say i go to documents/applications, what command would take me back to documents.

Hope this makes sense :)

Thanks very much

John

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Dear John,

I too am stuck in the same situation, but a friend of mine told me command B. (I have not tried this yet)

Dear John,

I too am stuck in the same situation, but a friend of mine told me command B. (I have not tried this yet)

Hi,

I gave it a try but it didnt work.

I tried: cb Documents

But thanks for the reply

John

Either "cd .." <- space is needed.
or you can copy the url and without the last folder copy it after the cd command :)

Either "cd .." <- space is needed.
or you can copy the url and without the last folder copy it after the cd command :)

Fantastic stuff cd .. works great

Thanks very much

John

"cd .." is good for moving up a directory, but you should also know that you can get ANYWHERE in the filesystem if you know the full path! :)

You can use RELATIVE paths or ABSOLUTE paths.

Relative paths are relative to your current working directory.

Example of relative paths:
cd documents/applications <- from your home directory
cd ..  <- takes you UP one directory (back to 'documents')

Absolute paths are relative to the ROOT (very top of the tree) of the filesystem.

Example of absolute paths:
cd /home/user/documents/applications
cd /home/user/documents

I hope this helps!
-G

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.