Hello,

I am new here, and this web site looks great!

I hope I'm not taking up too much of your time, I just had a couple questions relating to networking Linux and using a Unix OS called OpenBSD.

Is there a best Linux recommended to use for file servers? I have an old computer that could be put to use as a home server, so any tips would be appreciated. Preferably it would be an easy-to-use distribution. I have experimented with Mandrake Linux and Yoper with KDE on a desktop computer, although I never have really understood how they work under the hood, so to speak, and I know nothing about using Linux for servers.

My second question is, can the operating system called OpenBSD be run with a desktop environment like KDE? I will be going to college next year, and probably take computer science, so by using OpenBSD I hope to learn about Unix and computer security better.

Finally, what is samba? I'm sorry, I know I must sound very ignorant, but I'm new to all this stuff and want to learn more about computers.

Again, I hope I'm not being irritating with these newbie questions.
Thanks for your time,
John

Contributors
Views
12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by frrossk

>>Is there a best Linux recommended to use for file servers?
No; almost every Linux distro can be used as a file server, but I'd recommend to use a stable release of a solid distibution like Slackware/Debian/etc...
>>can the operating system called OpenBSD be run with a desktop environment like KDE?
Yes, it can...
>>what is samba?
http://us4.samba.org/samba/what_is_samba.html
>>so by using OpenBSD I hope to learn about Unix and computer security better.
I'd also recommend to try first FreeBSD, since this OS seems to be better documented, and start with the handbook

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.