Who here uses linux? Who uses Microsoft Windows? Why?

Recommended Answers

All 21 Replies

Linux -> Why not

Windows -> Why

:cheesy:

Well I guess it depends on what kind of user you are. To sum it up I will simply post the following:

==
Need lots of software only out for Windows and you don't care about license fees -> Get Windows (or consider the open source alternatives)

Want security, stability, and the ability to participate in the open source community (as well as reap the open source program benefits) -> Linux
==

Of course, there is only one environment that I can say Linux should be 100% used as opposed to Windows, hands down, and that's the server environment.

I miss some options:

3) neither
4) both
5) among others

At current I use Windows, Linux, and AIX almost every day and occasionally SCO.
In the past I've used Solaris, HP Ux, OS/6000, Guardian, OS/2, and others.

Seems you just want to start another OS war...

Use what best suits your requirements, don't choose one OS (and/or hardware architecture) over another based on religious zeal for or against something.

Linux makes a good server. As for desktop, I don't really like it. Some people really prefer Linux over windows for good reason, others just use it because it's a way to bash M$.

I dual boot Windows Xp and Madrake 9, but I rarely use Mandrake.

Want security, stability, and the ability to participate in the open source community (as well as reap the open source program benefits) -> Linux

You'll think security and stability when people start targeting linux.

No, I think security and stability when I have worked for a hosting company with over 10,000 clients that was 100% Linux and I have seen the results.

:cheesy:

I have also worked in large-scale datacenters down here in Austin, many of which, run Windows and Linux (generally Win2K3 and RedHat Enterprise servers). Windows failed on stability (not withstanding the security issues... which Windows failed on as well).

My opinion on security and stability is shaped by real world experience in the matter, with both Linux and Windows. That's not to say you don't have that, I'm just saying where I am coming from.

I will agree, however, that as a workstation environment for the average user, Windows is still a better choice.

Linux box.. up 370 days

Windows box.. up 45 days

*shrug* The proof is in the pudding, so to speak

I've had my Windows box up for a year or so at times. No problem.
I've had Linux boxes that crashed every few minutes.
In fact the most unstable box I ever had was a Linux box, and that wasn't years and years ago but 2003.
The most stable was a Windows 2000 box that just kept on going for months at a time despite being used heavily.

I've never had a trojan, virus, or other nasty on Windows. Last one was circa 1993 on an old DOS box, bootsector virus transmitted over a floppy from the uni...

The biggest security problem we had at work over the last several years was an intrusion on our LINUX firewall.

I miss some options:

3) neither
4) both
5) among others

At current I use Windows, Linux, and AIX almost every day and occasionally SCO.
In the past I've used Solaris, HP Ux, OS/6000, Guardian, OS/2, and others.

Seems you just want to start another OS war...

Use what best suits your requirements, don't choose one OS (and/or hardware architecture) over another based on religious zeal for or against something.

uhg, I do not want to start an "OS war" Im going to be installing linux soon, and I just want to see how it stacks up.

Please dont assume I want trouble. So please, everybody, no bashing.

I use windows xpee pee. I hate it! I don't know what a lot of the stuff is for and the things I do know about seem to not respond more often than they should. When I had windows 2000 or ME my computer worked much better. I am not a geek and would really like to hear the pros and cons of changing to Linux. How hard is it to learn? How costly is the software for things like PSP,
photoshop and other art programs? Will yahoo messenger work on it? Where can a non geek go to read stuff that I can really understand?

I use windows because there are a lot more developing tools and more programs. I like linux though I think it is a very good os.

http://www.linux.org/lessons/beginner/ you can read about it here, it is pretty simple. You can run everything that windows runs. It has a steep learning curve but it looks to be very rewarding. As for cost, if you have broadband connection you can download it for free. Otherwise its only $40-$50 to order a cd. Im really looking forward to installing it and using it. It is open source code, that is the whole concept behind it. You can get all different kinds of linux, you just have to find out what suits you.

Yeah I tried something like that before and it didn't come up the same as it did in windows. There was a lot of problems with it. When I am working with Linux though, I mainly use open source programs like OpenOffice.org, and they seem to run really well and actually I think are just as good as some of the products you have to pay for, for windows.

Linux box.. up 370 days

Windows box.. up 45 days

*shrug* The proof is in the pudding, so to speak

If you can't keep a windows machine up for more than 45 days, then whoever is the adminsitor needs to be fired. I could have kept that up longer when I was 7.

I use windows xpee pee. I hate it! I don't know what a lot of the stuff is for and the things I do know about seem to not respond more often than they should. When I had windows 2000 or ME my computer worked much better. I am not a geek and would really like to hear the pros and cons of changing to Linux. How hard is it to learn? How costly is the software for things like PSP,
photoshop and other art programs? Will yahoo messenger work on it? Where can a non geek go to read stuff that I can really understand?

The bottom line is, if your not interested in learning it for educational purposes, why bother? If you don't like Windows XP and don't like a lot of their stuff, then you'll like it after using linux.

Maybe one of you Linux loving M$ basher can tell me this:

If linux is so great and so much better than microsoft, then how come each newer version becomes more and more like Windows?

I never bashed windows, dont turn this into something its not. Linux is not made just by one person, or by one company. Everybody is constantly changing it and adding to it. If they feel comfortable with a desktop and similar features that microsoft uses, then let them do so, it still has properties of linux. People also still use the old school linux.

I never said you did. Maybe your the one turning it into something it's not.

>If linux is so great and so much better than microsoft, then how come each
>newer version becomes more and more like Windows?
Linux vendors want the desktop market, so they have to dumb things down enough to entice the average Windows user.

Of course, that's just my opinion as one of those filthy heathens that uses both Linux and Windows and doesn't form a strong opinion about the available tools. ;)

moderate_rock48,

Thank you for your response. I am on dialup but my friend is supposed to be getting dsl as soon as they get around to switching her phone line or something. I will start reading at the site you suggested.

server_crash,

There are many more reasons to learn something than to pretend it doesn't exist simply because you do not like it. I think you must be very young so I will not pay much attention to your views. I know 7 year olds who would have attempted to give me a much more comprehensive answer than you did.

server_crash,

There are many more reasons to learn something than to pretend it doesn't exist simply because you do not like it. I think you must be very young so I will not pay much attention to your views. I know 7 year olds who would have attempted to give me a much more comprehensive answer than you did.

You say I'm young just because you've looked at my profile.

Anyways, I never said I hated it. If you read some of the earlier posts you'll see that I do like it, and I think it's a great OS. I don't think it's better than Windows though. I forgive you though, I doubt you could have comprehended a response so obvious.

You just implied that I pretend it doesn't exist because I don't like it. I DO run linux on my computer, and actually I dual boot with linux. But I guess you didn't read that either, did you?

Please, no more "Linux is better than Windows" or "Windows is better than Linux" arguments!

They're pointless! And they lead to insults being thrown around. Topic closed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.