I've tried installing versions of Linux on livecds, I've tried Knoppix 3.8.2, Knoppix 3.9, and Slax Kill Bill version 5.0.5. The cds will start to boot Caldera DR DOS, it will find drivers for USB devices and search for hard drives and then freezes. All 3 cds freeze at this point. I wasn't sure if it was something with my computer, a Toshiba Satellite A20, so I tried to install them on another computer, an HP Pavllion a630n, and the process would freeze on that computer too. It did get farther on the other computer, the hard drive would be mounted and it would recongize the USB cable modem and printer. It would then start looking for USB hard drives, it would freeze there. Any ideas on what is going wrong?

I've tried installing versions of Linux on livecds, I've tried Knoppix 3.8.2, Knoppix 3.9, and Slax Kill Bill version 5.0.5. The cds will start to boot Caldera DR DOS, it will find drivers for USB devices and search for hard drives and then freezes. All 3 cds freeze at this point. I wasn't sure if it was something with my computer, a Toshiba Satellite A20, so I tried to install them on another computer, an HP Pavllion a630n, and the process would freeze on that computer too. It did get farther on the other computer, the hard drive would be mounted and it would recongize the USB cable modem and printer. It would then start looking for USB hard drives, it would freeze there. Any ideas on what is going wrong?

Hello,
What has happened is that you have made some bad cd's.did you check and see if your downloaded copy was an exact duplicate before burning?It helps if you burn at 8x or less,even 4x...try to down load yourself an iso from a different source.It's been a while since I downloaded an iso .I'm pretty sure there is a corresponding file to go with that one that will check if your cd is good or corrupted(Actually I think it checks the download prior to burning the disc)That feature is in place to be sure that you aren't downloading a corrupt or altered file.If your disc only worked on one computer and not the other then the problem is with the computer that wouldn't load the disc...ok, hope this helps a bit...k
;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.