Ok, so here is my problem. I'm re-building an old computer, probably an early P2, not too sure, and when I boot it up the CPU fan turns on, but the hard drive doesn't boot. However if I unplug the hard drive's IDE cable, then it starts to spin. I though it was just a motherboard/hard drive problem until I got a different motherboard and a different hard drive and they do the same things. I've never run into this before, is this common? Is this just a matter of resetting something? Thanks for any help.

-ash

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Ok, so here is my problem. I'm re-building an old computer, probably an early P2, not too sure, and when I boot it up the CPU fan turns on, but the hard drive doesn't boot. However if I unplug the hard drive's IDE cable, then it starts to spin. I though it was just a motherboard/hard drive problem until I got a different motherboard and a different hard drive and they do the same things. I've never run into this before, is this common? Is this just a matter of resetting something? Thanks for any help.

-ash

Hello...Is your IDE ribbon faulty? Is the IDE plugged in backwards?What kind of MoBoard?What kind of hard drives.Do the mo boards beep at start up?....k :)

I have had this before. You may need a bigger PSU as there is not enough power for the drive

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.