using redhat 9.0 , using swat to configure samba (localhost:901), it seems to work. I get the error message "Couldn't display smb/// because no host "null" could be found. Check that the spelling is correct and that your proxy settings are correct."
I am using vmware 4.0.5 and windows xp is the host op sys.
In my network places samba sever is viewed but I can't make it through the password screen to open the shares. I ping from either end and have success. What to do?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Can you post the contents of your smb.conf file so I can have a look-see to see where the problem might be?

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from Linux (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2004/02/07 19:22:13

# Global parameters
[global]
    netbios name = LINUX
    server string = samba server
    encrypt passwords = Yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    unix password sync = Yes
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 0
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    dns proxy = No
    username = owner
    valid users = owner
    admin users = owner
    guest ok = Yes
    printing = cups

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    valid users = %S
    read only = No
    create mask = 0664
    directory mask = 0775
    browseable = No

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printable = Yes
    browseable = No

[root directory]
    comment = root
    path = /
    read only = No

[home]
    comment = home
    path = /home
    read only = No

[cdrom]
    comment = cdrom
    path = /mnt/cdrom

Does anyone suggest upgrading samba to 3.0.2. Will it be more compatable for vmware. What could I expect?

username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
username = owner
valid users = owner
admin users = owner

[homes]
valid users = %S
read only = No
create mask = 0664
directory mask = 0775
browseable = No

[root directory]
comment = root
path = /
read only = No

[home]
comment = home
path = /home
read only = No

First off, I HIGHY RECOMMEND NOT SHARING OUT THE ENTIRE ROOT PARTITION! This is VERY BAD! If you want to share the filesystem to get used to the layout, share it as READ ONLY.

Also, the following three lines are safe to comment out - they might be causing grief:

username = owner
	valid users = owner
	admin users = owner

Also, if you don't have a usermap (username map = /etc/samba/smbusers) it's safe to comment that line out.

It also appears you're sharing out the /home directory as well as each user's $HOME directory. If it's just you who'll be accessing the files, I would just keep the [Homes] section and create a [Public] section and use that as a file dump. That way, any files you want to share, you can copy/move from/to the public filedump and leave the rest of the filesystem intact.

Here's one of my smb.conf files to give you an example:

[indent]
# Samba config file for Mars.geekis-kahn.net
# FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE
# Samba 2.2.8
# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = GEEKIS-KAHN.NET
	netbios name = MARS
	server string = FreeBSD Web/Game Server
	security = SHARE
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	update encrypted = Yes
	log file = /var/log/samba.log
	max log size = 150
	load printers = No
	os level = 33
	preferred master = No
	local master = No
	domain master = No
	hosts allow = 192.168.0.
	hide dot files = No

[homes]
	read only = No
	browseable = No

[Public]
	path = /usr/home/public
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

[Geekis-Kahn.net]
	path = /usr/local/www/geekis-kahn.net
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

[Game Servers]
	path = /usr/compat/linux/usr/games
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes
[/indent]

Don't forget to create the directories that will be shared, and chmod 777 /path/to/directory (or whatever permissions you want.)

Please let me know if this helps you out at all.

I'm also writing an updated Samba HOWTO that should be completed towards the end of this week, which will include configuring smb.conf both with SWAT and from the command line, and a description of what most of the variables are for (and how/when to use them.)

Samba 3.x is designed to replicate Active Directory, as well as work as a PDC with Windows 2000 and XP. Previous versions (2.x) emulated a WINNT 4.0 Server that worked well as a PDC for WINNT 4.0 and Windows 95/98, but didn't cut the mustard with 2000/XP. If you're not going to use Samba as a PDC for your network, staying with 2.x should be fine (I still use 2.2.8 ...)

Regarding VMWare, you probably won't see much of a difference upgrading to 3.x unless you're testing the Active Directory changes, which I'm guessing you won't be doing, at least for now.

I also meet the same problem.Sometime it work fine.Sometime it dispaly no host could be found.Anyone could tell me the reason?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.