Hi, I am in debian linux trying to recompile my kernel so it will use a boot splash( for the modprobe and init , not grub) http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/3124
I followed these instructions and compiled everything. When I boot it claims it can't find /lib/modules/2.6.8/modules.dep . This should have been put in when i made and install the kernel package with make-kpkg and dpkg -i. Can anyone help me? Did i possibely forget to compile something?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

boot into recovery mode and mount the hard drive. look to see if the .dep file is indeed there first. the path may be slightly
different at the version level and could be what is causing your problem. go back through
your instructions and make the mods where appropriate.

thanks, i'll try that. I have to go back and check my config. While compiling another kernel I realized I may have made a major newbie mistake and modulized the drivers for my root fs. Thats also something to check. I'll post back with updates.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.