I have a monitor that has two inputs, my windows box is in one and my server(running ubuntu server) is in the other. Currently to control the server I have to use a seperate keyboard that is plugged into it. Is there a program that, when I switch the input of my screen to the server, would send the keyboard key presses from the windows box's keyboard to the ubuntu server?

EDIT: I would like to do this without a SSH client because I am going to install ubuntu-desktop on the server and my current SSH client doesn't send mouse input.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

You would want a KVM switch.
There is no serious software to do this.

When you mentioned this question, i could of sworn readin about software that does KVM over IP, but i couldnt find it googling. Some other things you can do is setting up remote desktop from windows to linux (though linux to windows is easier). Ubuntu comes with rdesktop and works with Windows easier, than windows to linux i read. Some other options are openVNC, which is like rdp, but more openly supported.

KVM over IP requires hardware.

It might not of been quite KVM over IP, but was something like it that was just software. I remember not seeing an use for it personally.

KVM devices are really cheap :) its a good investment!

- Bondi

EDIT: I would like to do this without a SSH client because I am going to install ubuntu-desktop on the server and my current SSH client doesn't send mouse input.

Putty+Ximing will do it (presumably your server has a GUI).
Just enable X11 forwarding in putty and once logged in server, just start the GUI (eg. startkde for KDE)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.