Greetings to all!
With regards to the title, I don't have much experience and knowledge in using/configuring terminal server. I just got some questions that I hope I can discuss it here.
We got a terminal server hosted in UK (Windows Server 2003 Standard SP1) and we have about 30 users at the moment here in our office located in Asia. The user experience here is that accessing the TS is very slow, for example:
1. Logging in and off can take a good 15 seconds or maybe more.
2. Browsing to files and documents can take a few seconds for win explorer to load.
3. Even when you click on the start button, it will take probably 3 to 5 seconds for the start menu to appear.
This TS is generally used for a database program for users to input customer records, transactions etc.
Questions to Asked
1. Is a terminal server actually this slow, especially in different geographical area? I've read that Citrix is a better and faster for such situation.
2. I have not been given full administrator rights to "configure" the server, but is it possible if i were to ask them to setup a test environment for me to say "play" or tweak settings and registry to what I've read/google so far. The guys in UK tested the TS there and experience normal/fast speed but that is not the case here. Hence, this the reason why I asked if it's possible for a test environment to be setup. Came across this and I thought I would want to try it out.
3. Could the network setup be the reason for this latency? Locally, other network usage here like file/printer sharing and access, internet seems to be working normally, no speed issues here. However, if network is something that I should look into, what is it that I need to look at?
I've been reading up a lot lately on this, but have not done any work yet for this. Just need to digest more info at the moment.
Really hope to have some guidance and tips from all professionals out there who have any experience in this.
Thanks in advance!