Hi everyone,

I am just having a few issues with Ubuntu system on my machine. It doesn't fix broken packages and everytime, I want to install/remove a software from my machine, it says "can't locate PACKAGE NAME"

Now, I want to re-install Ubuntu. I logged into my other OS which is Win 7 and couldn't find un-install icon as I usually find. Please can anyone tell me what to do now?

cheers,

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I think more info is need on what packages is broken and are you dual boot? Did you install those package from Ubuntu software centre or from Synaptic? You can't un-install from Window 7 since it is a totally different OS.

I know. I fixed the problem already. I still have a problem with GNOME 3. It always complains about broken packages. I try fixing them but they apparently can not be fixed?? I don't know why.

How do you make your ubuntu stable? I want to customize my desktop and when I do so, the system plays up a little.

I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 11.04. I did try Gnome 3 but its a bit unstable. So I am using Unity and Gnome classic for now. I always install software from Ubuntu software centre. That will take care of all the dependencies. Are you trying to install from source? If that is the case you may have to check the dependencies because it may remove some libraries that the software needs it.

Hi everyone,

I am just having a few issues with Ubuntu system on my machine. It doesn't fix broken packages and everytime, I want to install/remove a software from my machine, it says "can't locate PACKAGE NAME"

Now, I want to re-install Ubuntu. I logged into my other OS which is Win 7 and couldn't find un-install icon as I usually find. Please can anyone tell me what to do now?

cheers,

I'm unsure of your issues with broken packages. Are you running Ubuntu off of the live CD or did you install to your hard drive? If you are running Ubuntu off of the live CD (or USB drive), then there is nothing to uninstall. If you start Ubuntu from a shortcut on your desktop, then you are running this option. I think this would also explain your missing/broken packages. Ubuntu would not appear in the Add/Remove Programs options of Windows because it is not a Windows program. If you have installed Ubuntu and your running a dual boot system, then the only way to remove Ubuntu is to delete the partition that it resides on. You would probably also have to do something else to remove the GRUB2 interface that allows you to pick an OS. Hope this helps!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.