Hi I have tried many resolutions and nothing. It all worked before with 2 cheap routers off of my cable modem (High Speed Cogeco Cable) but I couldn't password protect the routers because my wireless for laptop wouldn't log on at all?
1) So now I have a new rca cable modem (from provider) to a linksys ezx55w 5port switch (not in the up link port I assume since I have tried with and without from modem).
2) From switch to D-Link Di-524 (for wireless in yard and garage if I choose to bring laptop out here or around) to two computers in garage
3) From switch to 100+ foot of cat cable to house to an X-Micro also wireless for where laptop mainly stays) (cheap router but works great)

So all should be fine as I have researched and had replies to do it this way for ease of not conflicting hooking 2 routers together.
NOT SO...lol.
After reading I do not see if there is something in the settings I should do to each router still...since they (to me) are on seperate lines from the 5 port switch? Or maybe is this a cause from my provider not allowing me to use 2 seperate lines as I see it as well?
ANY HELP is greatly appreciated please been working on this for over 3 weeks now and read so much that all the scenerios don't make sense anymore.
Take Care,
STBEAR007

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

So all should be fine as I have researched and had replies to do it this way

And you have just learned how easy it is to get bad advice. :mrgreen:

Or maybe is this a cause from my provider not allowing me to use 2 seperate lines as I see it as well?

You have the right idea there:
* Your ISP will only assign you one IP address through the modem. The modem will pass that IP to a single device connected to it.
* A switch does not get assigned an IP address, nor does it isolate the routers from the modem. A switch is transparent; essentially, it just ties the modem and routers together on the same piece of wire.
* Therefore, as far as the cable modem is concerned, it sees two devices connected to it, and doesn't know how to handle that.

Please give us the exact model # of the X-Micro router; that info will come in handy in helping you configure things.

Thanks for the reply.

I thought the provider only sends one ip and what would the switch do for seperation...didn't make sense.

OK now the x-micro is a WLAN 11g (Model #: WF719-CAPR)

as for the next one I right clicked and to disk management and shows all 3 of my partions on hard drive and both roms (one dvd burner and one dvd/cr reader)

Once again thank you very much in advance,
STBEAR007

I thought the provider only sends one ip and what would the switch do for seperation.

Right. Routers can do the separation/translation (via NAT), but switches don't have that "intelligence".

For the network configuration you've described, the switch isn't needed.
* Connect the DI-524 directly to the modem.
* Configure the DI-524 with whatever info your ISP requires.
* Verify that computers connected to the DI-524 can access the Internet.

At this point you have a couple of options as far as adding the WF719 goes:

1. Connect one of the WF719's LAN ports to one of the D-Link's LAN ports. Since the LAN portion of a router is really just a switch, connecting the devices in this way just cascades/extends the D-Link's switch portion to the WF719's switch portion. Because the configuration doesn't make use of the WF719's WAN side, you won't need to worry about configuring NAT, DHCP, or anything else on the WF719; the connection to the D-Link should be transparent, with the D-Link handling all of the NAT, LAN IP addressing, etc.
* I believe the D-Link has auto-sensing ports, so you shouldn't need to use a crossover to connect the WF719 to it.

2. You can connect the WAN port of the 719 to one of the D-Link's Ethernet ports, although that will demand twiddling with the NAT/DHCP settings on the WF719 to get it (and the machines connected to it) configured to be one the same network segment as the D-Link. It isn't that hard to do, but it isn't necessary either, so I don't see a reson to go with this configuration.

3. I think the 719 has a wireless access point mode. If so, you can set it for that mode and connect it to the D-Link. In that configuration you would wire the 719's WAN port to one of the D-Link LAN ports, but the AP mode would automatically deal with getting IP addressing info from the D-Link, saving you from having to manually muck with the 719's software settings.

4. I believe the 719 can also act as a wireless bridge. Although it would be a slower (than Ethernet) connection, wifi bridging would allow you wirelessly connect the two routers.

as for the next one I right clicked and to disk management...

Ooops! I'm not sure why/how that post ended up in this thread; it was meant to be a reply to another member's problem in another thread. :?: Anyway- it wasn't meant for us; I've deleted the post.

Many thanks as I have done exactly this many of times...I set the x-micro to wireless isp and still only the laptop won't get internet? I am suppose to have same SSID's for both if I am not mistaken? anotherwards I set the dlink and x-micro SSID to STBEAR007. I also used the same wep 128 encryp password for both routers...could this cause any issues?

ONCE AGAIN thanks for all the HELP as I have never experienced all this trouble before networking although I am also using 2 routers one as a main and another basically as an extender. 100 feet away.

Take care,
STBEAR007

BTW I did eliminate the switch as I figured it would be usless as bad info I got before didn't make sense...but was worth the try as I was at a loss...lol

also one more strange thing I changed the ssid's Dlink is now stbear007_07 and xmicro is stbear007.

my laptop sees both and will connect to both. ALSO I can access my shared folders connected to either router. GOOD THING? But I can not get onto the internet with laptop. I am seeing the dnserror i think quickly at bottom of inet explorer before
EXACTLY it says res://c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCLC.dll\dnserror.htm than the cannot display page comes up...HMMMMM.

Thanks,
STBEAR007

so all seems to be fine except for this now....one thing after another?...lol...

It must be a setting...because I was reformatting and loading xp onto my dads computer this week and his kept doing the same to me...drove me nuts and couldn't figure it out even with swapping lan cards etc.

1. Seeing shares between the computers is a Good Thing, yes.
2. What happens if you connect the laptop via Ethernet to the D-Link router?
3. What happens if you connect the laptop via Ethernet to the XMicro router?
4. Disable WEP and/or any other security during the troubleshooting; doing so will eliminate one variable known to cause connection difficulties.
5. Setting the same SSID on both routers is the recommended way to go; please do that.
6. I'm assuming the desktop is happily connecting through the D-Link, yes?

7. To further isolate the source of the DNS error:
* Connect the laptop to the wireless network.
* Perform the following troubleshooting steps, in order, and post the results of each:

* Try reaching a site by its actual IP address instead of its URL. For example, open a browser and enter the following in the address/location bar:
http://66.102.7.99
If that takes you to Google, chances are pretty good that you've got a DNS problem.

* Click on the "Run..." option in your Start menu. In the "Open:" box of the resulting window, type "cmd" (omit the quotes) and hit Enter. This will bring up a DOS window.
At the DOS prompt, type the following commands, hit Enter after each, and tell us the results for each command:

ping The_D-Link_Router's_IP_Address
ping 66.102.7.99
ping www.google.com

* Again at the DOS prompt, type the following command and hit Enter. You won't see any result from the command, but when it completes, a second prompt with a flashing cursor will be displayed; close the DOS box once that happens:
ipconfig /all >"%userprofile%"\desktop\ipconfig.txt

The above command will have created a text file on you desktop named ipconfig.txt; double-click on the file to open it in Notepad, and then cut-n-paste the file's contents in your next post here. The contents of the file will give us some important details of your IP configuration.

I am very sorry I just noticed the please do not post us for help etc... Very Sorry. I have just instead hooked up the Netgear router instead and works like a charm. A little slower but works. I will get to the info you did give me though and post back on the weekend when I have the time saturady to do this just so I might be able to use the faster wireless router. ONCE AGAIN MANY MANY THANKS for all the help and info as I greatly appreciate it all.
Take Care,
STBEAR007

BTW I have been working on computers for over 20 years this one has just thrown me through a loop as strange as it might sound but always wanting to learn more from more experienced people as yourself willing to help out if able to.

You're welome; glad we could help. Post a follow-up when you get a chance; we'll be here...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.