d-link makes a wired router like this, anyone know of a wireless version?

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

I've never seen one, but here's a suggestion:

Buy a WAP, or whatever the wireless equivalent to a hub is. You could use a Linux box to make a dialup connection, and then you could have the other machines use the Linux box as a gateway.

...And the Linux box needn't be wireless, either-- many people have issues getting wireless cards working under Linux, but you can solve that issue, too-- get a WAP that has a wired Ethernet port. They shouldn't be too hard to find, as I know most wireless routers have 4 ports or so.

I don't know why you'd want to have such an advanced setup if you're only using dialup. My network topography goes Internet > Cable Modem > Linux Firewall > Linksys WRT4G wireless router + 4 port switch > nodes and it works great. But I would never have such a crazy setup if it weren't for the fact that i have broadband.

Is the purpose of having the dialup modem to be used as a main internet connection, or to provide some kind of dial-in service, or just for extreme-backup redundancy? :) If it is for your main internet connection, then by the time bandwidth gets to the other machines on the network, your downstream is going to be painfuly limited. So slow that even a telnet session will give you a headache. I think other people would agree that an upgrade to Cable/DSL would be best, but please explain the topology that you wish to have in the end.

Sorry to be replying to this thread so late, but I just discovered it
while doing my own search for wireless routers with backup dialup
modem capability. I have a D-Link DI-713P wireless router that has
a DB9 connector for a modem. While at home this router os hooked
to the DSL port, but we take it, along with a modem, with us when
we travel. We can the both be connected to the internet while sitting
by the pool. We like this flexibility.

We just purchased a Toshiba, though, with an integrated 802.11g
wireless card and it won't talk to the DI-713P (an 802.11b device).
So I'm looking for another wireless router with a modem port. I've
found a couple, like the D-Link DI-824VUP, but they're all in the
$150 range. Too expensive.

I looked at the Actiontec DualPC modem because it has an RJ45
connector, but it looks like you need a separate PC to connect to
the modem to initiate and control the connection.

Any other ideas?

Is the purpose of having the dialup modem to be used as a main internet connection, or to provide some kind of dial-in service, or just for extreme-backup redundancy? :) If it is for your main internet connection, then by the time bandwidth gets to the other machines on the network, your downstream is going to be painfuly limited. So slow that even a telnet session will give you a headache. I think other people would agree that an upgrade to Cable/DSL would be best, but please explain the topology that you wish to have in the end.

I am only able to receive dialup. (old copper lines in mountains) I want to connect all of my systems together but only one would be connected to the internet at a time. I have 2 desktops that I would like to be wired together with one being the main connection to the internet and a laptop that I would like to run as a wireless system. I was told by a Microsoft rep to use a cable/dsl router access point router and go in this fashion.

internet>router>desktop1>desktop2>laptop through a pcmcia wireless card.

Would this system work? I have been recommended to this forum from many others first for you do not link me to a sales page.

If this system is feesable what brand would you recommend dlink, lynksys,netgear,usrobotics, or other. My laptop is a new dell inspirion 2.4 and my desktops are both 2.0 and above . all systems are on xp and one desktop the main powerhorse is on xp pro.

Your recommendation would be appreciated.

bvmy

I am only able to receive dialup. (old copper lines in mountains) I want to connect all of my systems together but only one would be connected to the internet at a time. I have 2 desktops that I would like to be wired together with one being the main connection to the internet and a laptop that I would like to run as a wireless system. I was told by a Microsoft rep to use a cable/dsl router access point router and go in this fashion.

internet>router>desktop1>desktop2>laptop through a pcmcia wireless card.

Would this system work? I have been recommended to this forum from many others first for you do not link me to a sales page.

If this system is feesable what brand would you recommend dlink, lynksys,netgear,usrobotics, or other. My laptop is a new dell inspirion 2.4 and my desktops are both 2.0 and above . all systems are on xp and one desktop the main powerhorse is on xp pro.

Your recommendation would be appreciated.

bvmy

d-link makes a wired router like this, anyone know of a wireless version?

D-Link DI 824VUP

Hello,

An Apple Airport with a modem will also do what you want it to. But I also like the idea of having a server at your location, such as a Linux box, so that you have other resources available to you too.

Before I got my cable modem, I had my RedHat 7.3 box connecting my parents house to the internet via a phone line. Every 8 hours, the line would drop, and I wrote scripts to re-connect instantly, and populate an external web page with the new IP number so I could access the box remotely and not have to call in to get the new number. The linux box also served well as a file server, so that I would place files there and not have to hunt around which computer I left the file I worked on yesterday.

Time for ASCII ART

Dialup Router   |                            | Computer 1
          -or-       | ====Wireless HUB====        | Computer 2 
      Linux Box      |   (usually has LAN too)     |....... via wireless laptop

Good Luck with it.

Christian

My company, Always On Wireless, makes the WiFlyer, a wireless router that is optimized for use with dialup as well as broadband. The WiFlyer has a built in modem removing the need for a com port and external modem. The WiFlyer has also comes preprogrammed for use with the major ISPs that typically use their own proprietary dialing software to connect to their network. Historically its been a bit of a problem getting modems connected to a router to work with proprietary dialers, but the WiFlyer works around that by having the dialer functionality built in.

i used to do this with an old d-link as a backup and it worked pretty good. i would never pay for an ISP i couldn't manually configure.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wireless+router+serial+port

under the product search i saw this:

http://www.shentech.com/fwg114pna.html

you can get something like that and plug an external modem into the serial port...usually just have to tell it a phone number and login. most external modems will take a serial connection but make sure because some are now USB. you could try something older/cheaper:

http://cgi.ebay.com/D-LINK-WIRELESS-ROUTER-DI-713P-Wireless-Gateway_W0QQitemZ5873263042QQcategoryZ67247QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

that's similar to the one i had. the picture shows the rs-232 9-pin port for connecting your dial up modem.

Thanks. This is what I was looking for. Unfortunately (or
fortunately, depending on you viewpoint) time and technology
have intervened to eliminate the need for the dialup backup.
Most places we have traveled to recently have high-speed
internet access available in the room, and the rest have
low-cost Internet Cafes.

Thanks again.

Ed

The experience is similar to me, indeed , when I confronted with the problem , it is very boring and clumsy.
Wish you get the profect settlement at last.
http: www.algogo.com online electronics store with cheap price!
yours sincerely

Your link brings you to bluehost.com, which leads me to believe that either your link is broken, or you are spamming (or both). Plus, you're replying to a 6 month old thread.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.