Hi everybody,
Do you think that linux and other unix os will dominate over microsoft ?
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

In some spaces such as scientific and internet/cloud computing, embedded systems, and mobile devices, Linux already has an insurmountable lead over MS products. It is more efficient resource-wise, faster, and a LOT cheaper! The ONLY market where Windows has an advantage over Linux is on the regular user's desktop/laptop and some business server environments (Active Directory, etc).

but i think more recent development in vm stuff and ubuntu looking more like the mac os i think sooner or later people will start to use more linux desktops simply because of price that and the awsome desktop cube using compiz linux in my opinion is alot more graphical then any windows i have come across but the biggest set backs on linux is support or most common used applications i mean they do have wine and it will allow to run some applications no problem most buisness apps at my job ran in there no problem but when you want some thing more its harder i also did try vmbox and esxi for vm and i had a windows desktop running in side of linux but the only problem is there is no passthru for graphics so you can't really run a game i do think linux has alot more room to grow and surpass windows but you would need to have better compatibility for commonly used applications

[QUOTE=
Thanks

for the general public, "when cows fly "

[QUOTE=
Thanks

for the general public, "when cows fly "

In most situations (internet servers, cloud computing, scientific computing, super-computing) Linux has a commanding market share lead over Microsoft. The ONLY area where MS is dominant is on the desktop.

In most situations (internet servers, cloud computing, scientific computing, super-computing) Linux has a commanding market share lead over Microsoft. The ONLY area where MS is dominant is on the desktop.

that's what i said ,desktops = general users ,when cows fly = never

True, although Apple has been making inroads on the desktop for some time now. Not Linux, but the OS is Unix.

Ok thanks everybody

I think about *nix which Cloud Computing relied upon.

Well, i personally prefer linux, and i think, it CAN (but wont) dominate. The problem is that programs are not made for linux mostly, i dont know if it is policy or ...
and still i use windows ONLY for few programs.

Well, i personally prefer linux, and i think, it CAN (but wont) dominate. The problem is that programs are not made for linux mostly, i dont know if it is policy or ...
and still i use windows ONLY for few programs.

it will never catch on with the general public for it to hard for them to use ,most of them don't even know how to use the windows computer that own now .burners/webcams/printer scanners ect ect ,that they have never used because they cant figure out how to do it ,believe me i have been fixing and selling used windows computer to hundreds of them for the past 15 yrs , and i hang around a local computer store and here there dumb questions all day long,i think the best one was asked by a lady one day who had here computer in for repair ,it was hooked to shops monitor and she thought she would have o take there monitor home with her because all here stuff/icons was on there monitor ,and the list go on and on

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.