Extended Subject: Redhat Linux 6.2 Email Delivered to Server but POP3 and IMAP Mailboxes show empty. (ipop3d problem?)

Over the weekend I patched up our Redhat 6.2 server using the Redhat Network Scheduler.

It appears that since I have done this, the server can no longer provide access to e-mail via POP3 or IMAP.

The POP3 server is up and running OK when telneting to it, I get:

+OK POP3 morpheus v2001.78rh server ready

However, when I log in as a specific user, Im told that the mailbox is empty.

E-mail is definitely delivered to the server; if I watch a users mailbox (mbox file) and send an e-mail to the server, the size and timestamp of the file increment accordingly.

It would seem that the problem lies in the POP3/IMAP systems (ipop3d?) not being able to see the mailbox files for the given user.

Im fairly new to Linux administration, so any help with the above would be greatly appreciated.

TIA for your time and help.

Kind regards,

Roland

Try sending some locally-delivered mail from the cli:

mail -v username

and watch the output. You can also tail the maillog file:

tail -f /var/log/maillog

so that you can see what the system thinks is going on with the mail files. I'll bet you might have the spool directory for ipop3d set to the wrong location, or a bad sendmail rule. Post the log output for us to take a look.

-GOND

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.