I have a toshiba Satellite 4000cdt with 3com589 serial nic. Everytime I boot up the nic fail to initialize, It says that the card is not present. I know the card is there and when i look at the network setting (gui base) it shows up but I can't activate it. Please help this newbie!! Thanks. Also how come my ifconfig, isconfig, route, etc.... any network related command doesn't work.. I do switch to Superuser when I run the commands. Do I have to have an IP address for the command to work? Other info, it's getting IP from DHCP. >>Thanks

Contributors
Replies
Views
14 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by John A

I have a toshiba Satellite 4000cdt with 3com589 serial nic. Everytime I boot up the nic fail to initialize, It says that the card is not present. I know the card is there and when i look at the network setting (gui base) it shows up but I can't activate it. Please help this newbie!! Thanks. Also how come my ifconfig, isconfig, route, etc.... any network related command doesn't work.. I do switch to Superuser when I run the commands. Do I have to have an IP address for the command to work? Other info, it's getting IP from DHCP. >>Thanks

Check to see if you had install the network card securely on the PCI.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.