I am making progress on my ffmpeg install. I have gotten it downloaded and now I am ready to configure it although I am not sure what I should use for the prefix. Would /usr/local work?

I am making progress on my ffmpeg install. I have gotten it downloaded and now I am ready to configure it although I am not sure what I should use for the prefix. Would /usr/local work?

I think installation of ffmpeg is the same as most Linux programs: just use the standard installation directories. If your programs are all installed with the prefix of /usr, then use that. If it's /usr/share/local, then use that. And if you use one that's different from the rest of your programs, I don't believe that will screw it up as long as it's a common directory for installing files in (/usr, .../local, .../share, etc). And if it usually is critical, then the documentation will state this.

Hope this helps

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.