I have downloaded samba but i do not know how to install it
Somebody told me that i would have to do it by commands, i have tried to look inside the folder i downloaded and it does not seem to have a .exe file
is my firs time trying to install something from the NET into mandrake
Can i get some help??

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

What version did you download? Is it the .tar.gz version? Is it an .rpm ?? .exe files are Windows executables - you won't find those anywhere in Linux. I suggest you download a mandrake .rpm file and then do a search here for "rpm" - a bunch of long threads should come up, just follow the directions there. However, samba should already be bundled with a standard mandrake install?

I noticed in another thread you posted about how to get your WinME and Linux to share files. I just want to make something clear. If you have two separate computers, one with Windows Me on it and another one with Linux on it, and you want them to talk over a network, you need Samba. If you are dual booting one machine with Windows and Linux, it's not Samba you need for them to share files.

no they are 2 diferent Pc's and i just upgrade my PC to win2k
I downloadsa the tar.gz version 3.1...IT supposed to be the latest one
WHere and what RPM fil would i need to download, can you send me the link pls??

What version did you download? Is it the .tar.gz version? Is it an .rpm ?? .exe files are Windows executables - you won't find those anywhere in Linux. I suggest you download a mandrake .rpm file and then do a search here for "rpm" - a bunch of long threads should come up, just follow the directions there. However, samba should already be bundled with a standard mandrake install?

She is right there is no click 'n' play/exe. with linux thats why *nix systems have 1000x less viruses ect.... If somethings going to execute its self there is going to be perms and a password involved.
See this is where the robust features of linux come into play. There are several ways to execute what you want here.

If its a RMP use the force switch.

--force

If its a .tar.gz. Right click extract all on the samaba you downloaded.
1)Go into the directory/folder where all the folders have been extracted.Typically,this is the SAMBA folder.

cd

Right click copy directory/folder name and paste in a terminal.

2)type

./configure

3)When that is finished type

make

4)

su root

5)Enter your password
4)when thats is finished type

make install

Or install from the source code.

I already extract the files to my documents and is name samba-3.0.1
I got to the part that i''m in the console and i'm typing hte part the says configure but it says no such file or directory
what should i do?

quote:
I already extract the files to my documents and is name samba-3.0.1

There is no "MY Documents" in linux, unless you created a file or directory with that name yourself. Like you said, you have extracted the file, then did you do like BigB told you above? You have to use the command cd (file name) where samba is located. This will put you in the right file or directory, then you can go to the configure command.

I download to the documente folder so my directory is
/home/juan/documents and then the samba files
i have tried what big B sugegsted i do cd to the directoy but when i type ./configure it gives me that error..I have already extract the files in the documets to and is call samba 3.0
any suggestions???

Sure, I will pick up where Affleck was prohibited!

Always remeber if you type

./configure

and the output is "no such file or directory" that means you need to go into the file and there will be a install file click on that and your set ok?

cheers

Sure, I will pick up where Affleck was prohibited!

Always remeber if you type

./configure

and the output is "no such file or directory" that means you need to go into the file and there will be a install file click on that and your set ok?

cheers

i haveing the same problem and i tried

./configure

i get the output "no such file or directory" and it dont have a install file but i cant remember how to set the atribute eather lol its been a whle sence i ran linux

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.