Afriend at work husband pass away a while back. He had a mac G4 note book almost new. She would like to sell it but she does'nt know the pass word to boot it up. She has no idea what it is. Is there any thing she can do? I would like to buy it but only if works!! Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Pop in a OS 9 or OS X install CD... Try for a OS 9 CD if you can; it'll be simpler. Hold down the 'C' key when the computer is booting up. As soon as you hear the CD drive kick in you can release the 'C'. The comptuer will boot off the CD.

You can have your friend back up the information on the drive. You can then either wipe the hard drive clean with a fresh copy of the OS.

Hope this helps!

Ed

commented: that's the best information you can give them! --alc6379 +3

I agree completely with cosi on this one. You could try and crack the password, or guess it, or anything like that, but you really will be better in the long run simply copying off the files you want/need, and then reformatting the system.

The advantage to such an approach is that you've just cleaned off all of the personal data that might have been on there. Not only that, but you'll also remove software from the system that the new owner of the system may not have been licensed to use.

Hello,

Agree that booting to OS 9 is your best option... but some of the late model G4's and newer no longer boot directly to OS 9. They are OS X only machines. You might not have that option.

Also, it is a great idea to format before the sale is complete, so that any personal traces on the machine will not migrate into foreign hands.

Christian

Thanks for your help!!

Hi christian, My friend did find some OS 10.3 can we use that to reboot? And is it hard to do? Thanks

Hello,

No problem. I wonder if she has a buyer in mind for the laptop. I am in the market for one...

Christian

If it works she said that I could have it.....free!! I'll offer her something though. But a power book like that is worth how much? I would to give her fair market price. Was bought this year maybe april 2004. thanks

I just bought a Powerbook G4 back in June. Could you tell us the specs of your system... we can have a ballpark estimate.

Ed

If it works she said that I could have it.....free!! I'll offer her something though. But a power book like that is worth how much? I would to give her fair market price. Was bought this year maybe april 2004. thanks

15 inch, 1.5ghz, 512 ram and a pretty aluminum case with soft bag to carry it in!

Wow... that's the latest and greatest. They sell for ~ 2,500 new. I don't know how much you'll pay for a used one. You could check out ebay for some merchants' prices.

Ed

15 inch, 1.5ghz, 512 ram and a pretty aluminum case with soft bag to carry it in!

I would like to thank those who help here. It people like you that make this a great site!!

Hi, I have a similar problem. I just recently hooked up my old G4 tower and it seems I cant remeber my password. I have files and projects on there that I not only want but know I need them. If anyone can help me at all, I would greatly appreciate it. What I need is to know if when I put the boot disk in what do I do from there to get the password either changed or off without deleting any of those files?
Anyone know how to?

Hi, I have a similar problem. I just recently hooked up my old G4 tower and it seems I cant remeber my password. I have files and projects on there that I not only want but know I need them. If anyone can help me at all, I would greatly appreciate it. What I need is to know if when I put the boot disk in what do I do from there to get the password either changed or off without deleting any of those files?
Anyone know how to?

More info please...

What version of OS X are you running and what version of the Installer discs do you have?

Sorry About that! Havent been online for a few. but i think I have resolved my issue Thank You. I posted on another site that was mac specific and they helped me out a little bit. here's that thread if anyone has had the same problem.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34548&goto=newpost Thanks again for all those who helped me. I appreciate all the help I can get!

Thank You Lloyd P

well im in the same situation,,,i wanna buy this g4 laptop but the seller does not have a login name or password,,,adn he doesnt know the admin password i was wondering if i just purchase the tiger disc will that solve my problem

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.