Hello.
My Compac win98 was running Ok. but now when I start it show the window logo, and then then this message came:
' VMM32.VXD is required to run windows. if this file is not in your PATH, you may need to reinstall windows.
I don't have disk for windows, will that be the end of my Pc, and what abouth the files on the Pc.
Thank for any help please.
And sorry if I on a wrong place

Cordillera :?:

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Hello.
My Compaq win98 was running Ok. but now when I start it show the window logo, and then then this message came:
' VMM32.VXD is required to run windows. if this file is not in your PATH, you may need to reinstall windows.
I don't have disk for windows, will that be the end of my Pc, and what abouth the files on the Pc.

Cordillera

I work in a compaq certified tech shop and i can unfortunalty tell you that they no longer support 98 and will not send it to you. so here are your options. EBAY! or a little know secret is that compaq and Hp send out restore libraries to there service centers. if you were in detroit i may be able to help you.

but give compaq a call and see if theres a service center in your area if not see if you can get the part number for the disks then you can do a search in google and find a used set.
good luck!

Ok. Thank. But I not a expert, can you tell me if the files are lost, because this Pc is not new, and better look for a new second hand one. I will like the chance to save same files. What abouth reintaling Windows, it that posible.
thank you.

if you buy a new computer the hard drive can be installed into it and you can access those files. dont quote me 100% on that because the hard drive may actually be dead which i doubt but if it is only a software crash it shouldnt be an issue. the only way to tell is to try.

on second hand computers NEVER BUY A SECOND HAND COMPUTER. EVER!!!! why spend $400 on something that is years old and out of date when you can buy a new one with a year warranty for $400 i sell computers at a major retail chain and im not going to sit here and try to sell you one but you will thank yourself for not wasting your money. also you said your not an expert 99% of people who sell second hand computers love people like you, again so do 99% of new computer sellers but atleast then when they lie through there teeth you can still call the manufacturer and get help.

on second hand computers NEVER BUY A SECOND HAND COMPUTER. EVER!!!!

That's bull, my friend. Over here in the UK there are many families using secondhand computers quite happily. They don't want or need the latest 'all bells and whistles' powerhouse system for a bit of photo-printing, some word processing and a couple of hours on the 'net. I bought my two grandchildren a second-user system each, checked them thoroughly, popped in a larger-capacity hard disk -- that was four years ago and still going strong. Sure, if you've got the money to buy new and you want the latest spec, go ahead. But don't write off second-hand altogether --- it depends what you want to do with it. For many families, 'new' just isn't an option.

if you buy a new computer the hard drive can be installed into it and you can access those files. dont quote me 100% on that because the hard drive may actually be dead which i doubt but if it is only a software crash it shouldnt be an issue. the only way to tell is to try.

on second hand computers NEVER BUY A SECOND HAND COMPUTER. EVER!!!! why spend $400 on something that is years old and out of date when you can buy a new one with a year warranty for $400 i sell computers at a major retail chain and im not going to sit here and try to sell you one but you will thank yourself for not wasting your money. also you said your not an expert 99% of people who sell second hand computers love people like you, again so do 99% of new computer sellers but at least then when they lie through there teeth you can still call the manufacturer and get help.

Hi ,i sell and repair and service secondhand computers ,and if my customer has a problem they can call me ,not the manufactor .
as for buying a used computer for 400$ when you can buy a new one for 400$ would make no sence at all .
Im in canada ,the local new computer store sell new for 750$ bottom of the line ,I sell used for 200-400$ [ older well built computers ]or less ,and the buyer can do the same things they want to do with them, as the 750$ new one !!the average user only want to surf the net and send email !!why pay top dollar just to do that .the joice for internet computer in my town is ,Celeron 2.4,80 gig hdd ,256 meg ram ,onboard everything !!749.00 + tax[15%] 912.00
my price fo Plll 933,64 meg video 334 meg ram 20 gig hdd ,17 " monitor ,keyboard mouse speakers ,375.00 not tax

That's bull, my friend. Over here in the UK there are many families using secondhand computers quite happily. They don't want or need the latest 'all bells and whistles' powerhouse system for a bit of photo-printing, some word processing and a couple of hours on the 'net. I bought my two grandchildren a second-user system each, checked them thoroughly, popped in a larger-capacity hard disk -- that was four years ago and still going strong. Sure, if you've got the money to buy new and you want the latest spec, go ahead. But don't write off second-hand altogether --- it depends what you want to do with it. For many families, 'new' just isn't an option.

Ive worked tech for tomany years to not see the dangers in scond hand computers. now im sure that you are a reputable dealer and i will also say your one of the few, ive seen to many 486 machines sold for over $400! theres alot of dealers who prey on the lack of education in this market.

i work at one of the major computer retailers in the united states and i work in the tech department so ive seen some gross attacks on people in terms of selling p2 300 mhz for $600 the local city governement was selling laptops with windows 3.1 for $300 this is and im sure you can even agree with me a potentially dangerous market! i do appload anyone who takes it on the responisbility of not preying on uneducated consumers, but when i see the one person in the post talking about his used computer prices i can get a user a brand new 2 gig celeron 40 gig hd 256 memory 17 in monitor and a printer for $199 ALL NAME BRAND INTERNAL PARTS! asus mother boards usually pny or kingston memory maxtor or segate hard drives.

ive also checked my stock and i have over 10 different computers in stock new in a box for on or near $500 i can beat alot of used deals with name brand new machines and even extend a warranty for up to 3 years.

im currently in the state ranks 50ith in economic growth and im watching the major industries high tale it out of here so i understand hurting families, but i think it would hurt more to get ran and left with junk for an over stuffed price.

so to anyone who reads this if you sell used computers at a resonable price and do not take advantage of your customers than i appload you, though ive never met a used dealer who did.

so to anyone who reads this if you sell used computers at a resonable price and do not take advantage of your customers than i appload you, though ive never met a used dealer who did.

Hi ,first glad to meet you ,i may be you first honest used comp seller you've ever meet ,even if not in person .I throwaway pl&pll computers because they are worthless!

i can get a user a brand new 2 gig celeron 40 gig hd 256 memory 17 in monitor and a printer for $199 ALL NAME BRAND INTERNAL PARTS! asus mother boards usually pny or kingston memory maxtor or segate hard drives.

I would love to be able to buy such a computer here in Canada ,i can get at wholesale , a barebone tower for that .no hdd and cdrom !!?? 17 "monitors new retail here for 149.00,wholesale for 129.00

well it seems we have a little argument over second hand comps. i will say this you are both right and both wrong. there are alot of dishonest second hand sales men out there. delt with one a few days ago. wanted to sell me an 80 gig ide hd for 100 bucks. went down the road and got a bran new 250 gig sata for 79. BUT alot of new comp places want to sell you super fast high powered comps that are so advanced that the people who buy them dont even use 2% of that power. around here a bran new comp at most all stores are top high power things that cost 1200 or more. go to a used one you might pay 300, if you dont know what your looking for you can easly get screwed eather way, bran new or not. thats why i offer my services local around here to people. if they want to know if they got a deal let me know what and how much and i tell them weather its a good deal or not. i alos offer to build people computers. i find that people are really interested in paying 700-900 for a computer built for them thats the same or better than the ones in stores that cost 2300 or more top of the line. it costs me about 600 to build a bran new computer amd 3200 with gig ram, and 200 gig hd, sound card, video, monitor, and tower. and ppl will pay about 800 for it in a heart beat.

well it seems we have a little argument over second hand comps. i will say this you are both right and both wrong. there are alot of dishonest second hand sales men out there. delt with one a few days ago. wanted to sell me an 80 gig ide hd for 100 bucks. went down the road and got a bran new 250 gig sata for 79. BUT alot of new comp places want to sell you super fast high powered comps that are so advanced that the people who buy them dont even use 2% of that power. around here a bran new comp at most all stores are top high power things that cost 1200 or more. go to a used one you might pay 300, if you dont know what your looking for you can easly get screwed eather way, bran new or not. thats why i offer my services local around here to people. if they want to know if they got a deal let me know what and how much and i tell them weather its a good deal or not. i alos offer to build people computers. i find that people are really interested in paying 700-900 for a computer built for them thats the same or better than the ones in stores that cost 2300 or more top of the line. it costs me about 600 to build a bran new computer amd 3200 with gig ram, and 200 gig hd, sound card, video, monitor, and tower. and ppl will pay about 800 for it in a heart beat.

Hello ,i do agree with most of what in you post ,well maybe all .lol
I don't sell power machines ,i sell intern computer ,just the basics .actually don't sell many any more as the new ones have gotting to cheap .like around here now people are buying Dell's for about 499.00+
Computer shops always wanted to sell you the top speed/best in the shop stuff i know all kinds of people who got ripped when they went out and bought a new p3 233 ,and all the bells and whistles [1997]or even a AMD1000[2001] it doesn't matter they always sell people more that they need and will ever use.Right now im sitting at an AMD 1000,win98 80 gig hdd,375 meg ram ,20x burner,48x cdrom ,printer.and scanner ,17" monitor my brother -inlaw paid $2300.00 in 2001 for it ,he moved to western canada to work last week, and gave i to me .all they ever used it for interne and other pasic stuff .

Holy Hijacking, Batman!!!!

We seem to have deviated from the topic. Let's get back on track. Here's the message from the original post:

Hello.
My Compac win98 was running Ok. but now when I start it show the window logo, and then then this message came:

Cordillera

Holy Hijacking, Batman!!!!

We seem to have deviated from the topic. Let's get back on track. Here's the message from the original post:

yes that is true but in post #5 it turned to used computers lol and the orignal post has never posted back!!since 2005

oooooooooopsssssssssss.....My Bad. I didn't look at the post. Guess I've been working WAY too hard. Damn, I need a vacation.

lol

Hello.

Cordillera :?:

I THINK I HAVE SOLVED IT!! maybe, it worked for me, i did some resurching and it seems that its the floppy disk drive thats causing it, now, how i got around it was this, i installed windows, and when it reboots to install your drivers and such press f8. go into safe mode, it will tell you your running safe mode and cant install drivers, now disable your floppy drive in the device manager, then reboot, after its done installing all the rest of the hard ware and reboots agin, durring normal windows now remove the disk drive (uninstall) from the list and reboot. now windows will install the drivers for the disk drive and woohoo NO ERROR! yeah!. i dont know if you actually have to remove it, it may work by re-enableing it to. but what i found out was that the order that windows installs its drivers normally confilts with the paths that the hard ware is set up, it seams that the floppy and the cd-rom for some reason use the same IRQ or pathways, ive noticed that when i copy something from a cd to the HD or the Floppy to the HD it works fine, but if i try to copy a file from the CD-rom to the Floppy drive i get errors. well thats what i found out, try it, it may work for you to.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.