Hi - where is the activation key to a product stored?
I have purchased and installed successfully an Elgato USB TV tuner on my powermac G5 running panther. My wife has thrown away the box and the "activation key" (because of clutter).

I havent used it for a while and now when I tried to use it, the application asked me to enter the activation key.

Help - or I'll have to buy another one
Jim

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

If you bought it, you can contact the manufacturer and they will give you a new key.

If the PC is asking for the key, then its no longer stored on the system, in the registry, or in a activation file.

try help -> about

try help -> about

That would only work if the program had the key -- which it apparently doesn't, thus the request to enter an activation key. I'm agreed with Michael here, most likely the key isn't stored on the system anymore (or perhaps the application's preferences file suddenly got corrupted).

maybe it was only trial software

Thanks.

I still agree, it won't be stored on the computer. Also, using Help > About, some programs only say Registered to: or the Key is a hash of the original.

Try Help > About on Microsoft Office, It will say Product ID. You can't use that as a key.

Thanks everyone.

1. It is legal stuff- I have bought it despite cynical comments otherwise.
2. Most likely the HDD got corrupted - the machine is in the service dept at the moment having the HDD thrashed and OS re-installed.
3. The service centre is also the shop where I purchased the device from - and they are going to print me out a "cash" invoice/receipt - even though they cant "find" the record of the sale anymore (from over 1 yr ago!!)

And with this receipt I will then submit to elgato and get them to give me an activation key.

Sounds like it may have been easier to solve with a PC - (assuming the HDD was not corrupted)

Thanks again to everyone who has replied.
But no - you havent given me a hint on where to find the activation key

Jim

>But no - you havent given me a hint on where to find the activation key
Even if the key was stored on the system, it most likely isn't anymore, which is why the software is asking for a key. The program won't just copy the key to some random file on your hard drive for safekeeping, it'll just change its central settings file (sort of like a registry) to hold the key, which it'll check every time the software starts. If the file no longer contains the key, the program will complain and ask for a key again.

Hi - where is the activation key to a product stored?
I have purchased and installed successfully an Elgato USB TV tuner on my powermac G5 running panther. My wife has thrown away the box and the "activation key" (because of clutter).

I havent used it for a while and now when I tried to use it, the application asked me to enter the activation key.

Help - or I'll have to buy another one
Jim

Did you get an answer to your problem? If so, I could use you help.
I just purchased Microsoft Vista at Circuit City. When I went to install there was NO DVD and only one half of the product key. Circuit City will not reimburse me, or exchange for something else. Need the software/key legally. Id like to find a full download and figure out what the other half of my product key is. Is there an easy way around this expensive problem. Thanks!!! Sherri

Did you get an answer to your problem? If so, I could use you help.
I just purchased Microsoft Vista at Circuit City. When I went to install there was NO DVD and only one half of the product key. Circuit City will not reimburse me, or exchange for something else. Need the software/key legally. Id like to find a full download and figure out what the other half of my product key is. Is there an easy way around this expensive problem. Thanks!!! Sherri

Microsoft parts replacement fixed my problem. They're sending me a new copy Microsoft Vista Ultimate in the mail with a new key. I figured they hassle me, but not at all. 1800-360-7561 Microsoft Help Number. Hope this helps someone else out there. Sherri

yeah MS support are actually quite alright when you need them

my Visual Studio pro disk broke and they sent me a new one for a nominal fee (considering the whole suite is a couple hundred)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.