For those of you who don't know, fink (http://fink.sourceforge.net) is a debian-based package management program for OS X which ports a number of *nix programs to the mac. Using fink, I installed mc (Midnight Commander), my favorite terminal-based file management utility for linux. During the install, it told me it had to edit users/groups via NetInfo or something of the sort. I'm just wondering what this means to me. What if I should uninstall this package - or what if I were to uninstall fink? To the best of my knowledge, uninstallation of fink encompasses simple rm -rf of the /sw directory in addition to ~/.cshrc ... nothing about editing anything in NetInfo? I had thought that fink and its packages made no changes to the rest of the mac filesystem?? Help appreciated, tia.

very good that your time is so very limited. fink can only install in root mode. when it changes netinfo, its of no concern when you trash sw.
you also have to add the path in bashrc or whatever shell you use.

export PATH="/bin:/sbin:/sw:/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/man:/usr/local/share:/usr/local/include:"
declare -x PATH="/bin:/sbin:/sw:/sw/bin://sw/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/man/:/usr/local/share:/usr/local/include:"
declare -x MANPATH="/usr/share/man:/sw/share/man:/usr/local/man/:"

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.