:?: Help? I have just installed OS X (first version) on my G4 and am using both OS 9.2.2 and OS X. I want to use OSX Mail and Safari, but I need to know if I can import my address book and bookmarks from OS 9 Outlook and Internet Explorer. Anybody know how?

Thanks! I'm honored to be a new member! (I will introduce myself later.)

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hello,

Welcome to DaniWeb.

If you are really using OSX 10.0 or 10.1, you will want to upgrade promptly to 10.2 or 10.3 10.0 and 10.1 had horrible printing problems, and were not stable and suitable. There were days that I had 10.1 going on my laptop, and I gritted my teeth so harshly, that I formatted it off, and returned to OS 9.

As for exporting your addressbooks, that should work. Not sure exactly how, but if you can bring up Outlook in Classic, you should have some options on exporting. You will need to expirement with that.

As for IE, you can open a folder in the OS 9 file system (I do not remember which one) where the IE bookmark files are all listed. You should then be able to drag the bookmark onto a Safari window, and have the webpage draw. THen make the Safari bookmark.

Let us know...

Christian

As for IE, you can open a folder in the OS 9 file system (I do not remember which one) where the IE bookmark files are all listed.

/System Folder/Preferences/Explorer/Favorites.html

"If you are really using OSX 10.0 or 10.1, you will want to upgrade promptly to 10.2 or 10.3 10.0 and 10.1 had horrible printing problems, and were not stable and suitable. There were days that I had 10.1 going on my laptop, and I gritted my teeth so harshly, that I formatted it off, and returned to OS 9."

Youch! When the Mac tech guy upgraded me to X, (at $100/hr) he didn't recommend the newest version of OSX, so he installed the earlier version! I am confused!

Vicki

/System Folder/Preferences/Explorer/Favorites.html

Thank you!

:p

Youch! When the Mac tech guy upgraded me to X, (at $100/hr) he didn't recommend the newest version of OSX, so he installed the earlier version! I am confused!

Which version did he install? If you give us the output from (Open Terminal.app from your Utilities folder and type) this:

sw_vers

The output should look similar to this:

yellow% sw_vers
ProductName:    Mac OS X
ProductVersion: 10.3.8
BuildVersion:   7U16

Which version did he install? If you give us the output from (Open Terminal.app from your Utilities folder and type) this:

sw_vers

The output should look similar to this:

yellow% sw_vers
ProductName:    Mac OS X
ProductVersion: 10.3.8
BuildVersion:   7U16

Sorry for the slow reply!

It says:
Mac OS X
Version: 10.3.5
Build: 7M34

:o Vicki

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.