Outlook 2000 (Win98) is telling me that the incoming mail server can not be found. I have done the following:
1. Confirmed the incoming/outgoing mail server names are correct.
2. Typed in the IP address for each of the above rather than the names.
3. Set my account up on another computer and was able to send/receive email from it.
4. Erased my account on my pc, restarted and entered a new account.
5. Uninstalled Outlook 2000, restarted, and re-installed outlook.
I can't think of anything else to try. There seems to be something wrong w/ my pc in sending/receiving email, however no one has been able to tell me what the fix is. Any information or additional troubleshooting is appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

1. Outlook should allow you to view the details of the error by clicking the yellow exclamation-point icon that appears in the lower right-hand corner of Outlook's Window when a send/receive error occurs. Please locate that info and paste the full and exact text here; there's usually an error code listed in those details which can help to pinpoint the problem.

2. If you have any anti-virus or firewall software installed, temporarilly disable it entirely; those programs are known to cause such behaviour in Outlook.

There isn't an actual error message which would lead to the code you're mentioning. The message I am receiving is as follows: "The POP3 server name you specified cannot be found. Pelase chech the name and try again" I know there isn't a problem w/ the server name because I can send/recieve email from another desk top with the exact same settings. In the past I've been able to email from my current pc for nearly 5 years, the problem just started a week ago. Any additional information you can provide is appreciated. Thank you.

the problem just started a week ago

Judging from the info in your first post It sounds like you've covered all of the normal troubleshooting steps. Did anything else happen around that time that might be related to the problem, or are you noticing any other odd behaviour with the system?

Open a DOS windows and type the following command at the prompt:

telnet your pop server's name 110

Are you able to hit the POP server that way? If that works, you should get a message beginning with "OK", and a flashing cursor below the message. Type "quit" to end the Telnet session.

I tried your suggestion and got an error message that it could not make a connection. Any other ideas?

Can you give some detail on a couple of things I mentioned earlier please?:

If you have any anti-virus or firewall software installed, temporarilly disable it entirely; those programs are known to cause such behaviour in Outlook.

Did anything else happen around that time that might be related to the problem, or are you noticing any other odd behaviour with the system?

Can you even ping the server from the problematic computer? Open a DOS box again, try both of the ping commands below, and tell us the results:

ping your pop server's name

ping your pop server's IP address

You should get 4 positive responses from each command if they work.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.