just upgraded from 10.2.8 to 10.4.2. for some reason when I download drivers it fails to mount a disk image. I have run disk utility for verifying permissions and repair but still can't get them to mount. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hello,

When you made the upgrade, did you go through an upgrade process, or do a clean install? It is possible that you clobbered something when going through the upgrade options. You may find a lot more success if you do clean installs. Yes, it takes more work, but you also get rid of the hidden issues that can creep onto a computer over the years it is used, such as old fonts, or scraps of a program that you used in the past, and have long since forgotten.

What I would do is backup all the data, and then boot from the 10.4 CD-ROM, and do a clean install, and wipe the drive clean before the install, and then re-install your applications. Yes, it is a lot of work, but it will restore you to a known point -- fresh install, no bugs, no older software / shareware, and from there you can work well.

Christian

just upgraded from 10.2.8 to 10.4.2. for some reason when I download drivers it fails to mount a disk image. I have run disk utility for verifying permissions and repair but still can't get them to mount. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

The previous post suggesting that you wipe your hard drive and do a clean install might be massive overkill. I found a solution in Macosx.com forum that worked for me. Note that the troubleshooting poster, naushadzaman, had this problem occur after an upgrade from 10.3.0 to 10.3.1; this problem happened to me out of the blue without any upgrade. I am using 10.4.11 and the "disk image not configured" problem was solved after I took these steps.

As you read through the naushadzaman's post, you may say "Hey wait a sec! These guys want me to delete a file and folder from my system!?!?" I had the same scary feeling. Instead of completely deleting the file and folder, I merely placed them in the trash--and then restarted the machine as naushadzaman instructs. The machine restarted with no problems and the file and folder in question were automatically regenerated in their proper places. The old file and folder that I had placed in the trash were still there. Again, after I went through the steps listed below, my disk images mounted and I could copy the contents to the hard drive. I never checked to see if I had a problem with the optical drive, but my guess is that this repair will work fine in cases where there is a problem caused by the file and folder in question.

I have quoted the entire troubleshooting post in italics below. I found this troubleshooting post at

http://macosx.com/forums/mac-os-x-system-mac-software/265270-disk-image-failed-mount-device-not-configured.html

Hi Professor101,
Thanks for the help. I got solution from somewhere else.. It worked now.

http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227752
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...31207012226892
Excerpts from the link:
I bought an iBook with OS X 10.3 and upgraded it to 10.3.1. After the upgrade, I could not mount disk images from my hard drive or burn CDs. Apparently this is a common problem after upgrading. I phoned AppleCare and this is what they had me do:
Run /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.
Click on “Macintosh HD” in the left column and then press the “Repair Disk Permissions” button. I don’t think this step was part of the solution to my problem.
Delete the file called /System/Library/Extension.kextcache
Delete the folder called /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernalcaches/
Restart
After these steps, disk images mount properly and the CD burner works.

If you are unable to mount the disk image in mac then it is clear symptom for corruption. To fix the problem you arr required to run the fsck utility and format the system. Don't worry about the stored data. You can recover files mac using third party tools or by restoring the data from available backup.

Don't follow the a pearlmckardy's advice! Is just rubbish.

I agree with jingda and kcar. Most of the time if you are unable to open a disk image it is due to the permissions issue described by kcar. I have seen some really wierd stuff caused by permissions problems including, dmg files not mounting, icons using sections of images from the iphoto library, software not running, etc.

It is a good idea to do a permissions repair before and after installing any software and it is even more important before and after and OS update.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.