Hi once again asking for help. I up graded from OS 8.06 to OS9 and every thing is ok BUT. Along the way I lost the G3 up date. The Computer works well but is much slower with out the G3. Any ideas where I can get a G3 up date disc or down load. Regards Norm.:sad:

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I'm not really sure what you mean. "G3" is a processor name, but as for updates, I think there's some built-in software updater in OS 9. In any case, it's normal for a later operating system to run slower than the predeccesor, because the latest and greatest operating system will most likely require more RAM and higher CPU clock speeds.

I'm not really sure what you mean. "G3" is a processor name, but as for updates, I think there's some built-in software updater in OS 9. In any case, it's normal for a later operating system to run slower than the predeccesor, because the latest and greatest operating system will most likely require more RAM and higher CPU clock speeds.

Thank you Joe for your comments. The 7100 used to run with OS8.06 system it kept on freezing so I cleaned out the old system and installed OS9. Iforgot to save the system folder which had the G3 update installed.
What I want to know is,can I obtain another G3 update and will it be ok for system 9. Hope this is enough info. Norm.

Hi Joe see bottom of you message for reply.Norm.

Hello,

I think he is referring to the Daystar (or comparable) accelerator card that could be installed inside of a PMac 7100.

The original 7100 was a 66 MHz PPC 601, not a G3 processor. If anything, you could have called it a G1.

The family went from 601 (the first) to a 603 (low power) and a 604 (better than 601, a G2), and then finally the G3 processor.

To use the Daystar card, you had a special extension that you needed to load.

I think I still have mine around. The question is, what is the version of your accelerator board?

CHristian

Thank you all who tried to answer my question. I have now switched from the 7100 I was having trouble with and dug out the other 7100 which is a better set. The system is OS 8.06. The old one had a G3 up date which worked very well until I trashed it. So thank you any way. Norm.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.