Actually it is a computer here at work. I know PCs pretty well, but I am lost when it comes to Macs. It was booting up for a while, but now it just shows the arrow cursor in the corner. It will move with the mouse. I don't know what OS was on it. When booting up I listen to the HDD and it spins up , and then spins down a bit. I thought the drive might be bad, so I found another Quantum Fireball on Ebay. Where can I get an OS to put on and how do you install the OS? Is it like a PC? I do have a version of OS 9.0.4 but it won't install on the new drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Where can I get an OS to put on and how do you install the OS? Is it like a PC? I do have a version of OS 9.0.4 but it won't install on the new drive.

Be more specific. Why doesn't OS 9.0.4 install? Does it give out any error messages? To install Mac OS, you need to boot the comptuer from the CD drive of course, which you can do by holding the C key I think (hard to remember, as Apple may have had a different key back then). I think you can also use the D key to select the drive to boot from (includign CD), so you might also want to try that if the C key doesn't work.

The only other operating systems you could install on this G3 are Linux, which I don't recommend for a business, because it becomes a very complex install, and the other operating system is probably Mac OS X, which if it is possible (look up the specs on Apple's website), would probably be the best option. You can get older version of OS X, such as Jaguar or Panther for around $15.

Be more specific. Why doesn't OS 9.0.4 install? Does it give out any error messages? To install Mac OS, you need to boot the comptuer from the CD drive of course, which you can do by holding the C key I think (hard to remember, as Apple may have had a different key back then). I think you can also use the D key to select the drive to boot from (includign CD), so you might also want to try that if the C key doesn't work.

The only other operating systems you could install on this G3 are Linux, which I don't recommend for a business, because it becomes a very complex install, and the other operating system is probably Mac OS X, which if it is possible (look up the specs on Apple's website), would probably be the best option. You can get older version of OS X, such as Jaguar or Panther for around $15.

I tried holding down the C key, but it didn't work. I'll give the D key a try. Thank you for your reply.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.